Re: Using AIDS to promote Linux products?

____/ Rex Ballard on Saturday 22 March 2008 01:19 : \____

> On Mar 21, 3:25 pm, Tim Smith <reply_in_gr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How come when Dell and Microsoft join PRODUCT (RED), that's proclaimed
>> as evil Microsoft using AIDS to make money, but no one said a thing
>> about Motorola making Linux-based phones available as part of PRODUCT
>> (RED)?
>
> Maybe because Microsoft and Bill Gates didn't get philantrathropic
> until tax free dividends threatened to put Bill under alternative
> minimum tax, which rwould have meant a huge tax bill on several years
> of income and capital gains.  Even then, Bill's generousity as a
> percentage of his income is almost an insult.  He's been soaking
> hundreds of millions of PC users for billions of dollars per year and
> paying lower than industry average wages to employees, to make sure
> that his personal fortune is maximized.  And the money he "Gives" has
> more often been methods to leverage the Gates Foundation investments,
> making it more like a tax exempt holding company and bribery fund,
> than a legitimate charitable interest.
>
> Dell on the other hand has been generous almost since the begining,
> recycling computers, sending lease returns to third world countries,
> and low income families, and encouraging the resale of Dell PCs
> through computer fairs and even refurbished computer stores in low-
> income neighborhoods.  Most of these old and cheap computers were sent
> out with version of Linux since critical functionality was not
> available with the original operating systems and current versions of
> Windows were more expensive than the computers and required more ram,
> cpu, and hard drive than the refurbished machines ever had.
>
> Motorola has been giving recycled cell phones to battered women almost
> since the beginning of the popularity of cell phones in the late
> 1990s.  It's hard to imagine that only 15 years ago, a cell phone was
> a luxury, and was the size of a large military walkie talkie.
>
>> --
>> --Tim Smith

I don't see the OP, but quite clearly Timmy reads my blogs and then teases with
provocative headlines (so-called 'rebuttals'). It's best to ignore him..

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie