[News] OpenOffice.org Looks Great on GNU/Linux, Comes to OS X

Test Drive OpenOffice 3 Beta in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I wouldn’t yet do any serious work with this beta release, but I haven’t had
| any issues with it so far. OpenOffice 3 is looking good!
`----

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/08/test-drive-openoffice-3-beta-in-ubuntu/

OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta shrugs off X11

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenOffice.org Community has announced the public beta release of
| OpenOffice.org 3.0, a new version of the free office productivity software
| suite for various platforms including Mac OS X.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/050808-openofficeorg-30-beta-shrugs-off.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

$1 buys a lot of StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| As government begins its move to the Open Document Format (ODF) standard, Sun
| Microsystems CEO Jonathan Schwartz has offered President Thabo Mbeki as many
| copies of StarOffice his office requires for a total cost of just $1.00.
|
| [...]
|
| Beveridge explains that the biggest implemetation project currently underway
| within the South African government is the move to ODF.
`----

http://it-online.co.za/content/view/272690/142/

OpenOffice.org 3.0 codeline now changed to LGPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| On a regular basis we provide developer snapshots to gather feedback on
| features and fixes that have been implemented on the way to OpenOffice.org
| 3.0.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_org_3_0_codeline

First look: OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta a big step forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta feels like a solid evolutionary update with
| a handful of new features that will be useful to various niche user groups.
| It certainly is still a beta, however, as the suite crashed at least once on
| both Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard during testing. If you want to
| put a copy of your own through its paces, though, compiled versions for
| Linux, Solaris, Windows, and Mac OS X (Intel Macs only) are available now
| from OpenOffice.org's beta download site.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080507-first-look-openoffice-org-3-0-beta-a-big-step-forward.html

Will OpenOffice.org support OOXML ?

,----[ Quote ]
| The answer is no !
|
| From version 3.0 OpenOffice.org will be able to read MS Office 2007
| documents.
|
|     The purpose is not to support an academic developed file format, but to
|     help the pour users who by accident get hands on a document from
|     Microsoft Office 2007.
`----

http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2008/04/will-openofficeorg-support-ooxml.html

Software wars

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c9743360-01a8-11dd-a323-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fc9743360-01a8-11dd-a323-000077b07658.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerworlduk.com%2Ftool