[News] Ohio State University Chooses Free Software (Dual)

The Ohio State University Leverages Bostech ChainBuilder ESB Open Source
Software

,----[ Quote ]
| New OSU graduate course is bringing real-world Enterprise Service Bus
| integration situations and technologies into the classroom.
`----

http://www.pr-inside.com/the-ohio-state-university-leverages-bostech-r579629.htm

Dual with GPL.

To open source or not? or to do both? Open source as market segmentation tool.

,----[ Quote ]
| Several years ago, I found myself confronted with the decision of whether to
| open source or not the software of a company I co-founded. While I could find
| considerable literature on the strategic benefits of open-source freeware as
| an enabler modern version of the razor and blade strategy (giveaway the
| client or development tool or razor, sell the server or the runtime or the
| blades), our software was not lending itself very well to such a separation.
|
| [...]
|
| But if the distribution of customer types is such that a single model does
| not dominate, this model can actually be implemented using dual licensing,
| where one category of customers is segmented from another and charged
| differently, by offering both a commercial license and an open-source,
| usually GPL-like license.
`----

http://lebleu.org/blog/2008/05/07/to-open-source-or-not-or-to-do-both-open-source-as-market-segmentation-tool/

Recent:

UN University Launches OpenCourseWare

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems a no-brainer that the United Nations University (yes, it exists)
| should make available its courses for the world and her dog to use...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/un-university-launches-opencourseware.html

OA and universities as intellectual infrastructure

,----[ Quote ]
| Gavin Baker, Free Culture and the University: Innovation, Information
| Sharing, and the Future of the Academy, a presentation at Knowledge Rights
| and Information Sharing in the 21st Century (University of Central Florida,
| January 30 - February 1, 2008). Excerpt from slides:
|
| [...]
|
| The Free University
|
|     * Open access to research publications & proceedings
|     * Open access to research data
|     * Open educational resources
|     * Free & open source software
`----

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2008/02/oa-and-universities-as-intellectual.html

Related:

Universities Worldwide Offer Free Open Courseware

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 100 universities worldwide - including Johns Hopkins, Tufts and
| Notre Dame - have joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in a
| consortium of schools promoting open courseware.
`----

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009575178

MIT digitizes its courses, throws them online

,----[ Quote ]
| MIT this week announced an important digital achievement: the completion of
| its pioneering OpenCourseWare project. And everyone involved seems quite
| happy with being unsure about why exactly it's important.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/112907-mit-digitizes-courses.html

MIT OpenCourseWare expands for high school students

,----[ Quote ]
| The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is taking on the issue of
| inadequate education for youth by extending its OpenCourseWare (OCW) program
| to include secondary level students.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9825103-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

OUP wants me to pay for my own Open Access article

,----[ Quote ]
| The journal wishes to charge me 48 USD to:
|
|     * USE MY OWN ARTICLE
|     * ON WHICH I HOLD COPYRIGHT
|     * FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (TEACHING)
|
| The journal is therefore
|
|     * SELLING MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
|     * WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
|     * AGAINST THE TERMS OF THE LICENCE (NO COMMERCIAL USE)
|
| I am lost for words...
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=529

A Quest to Get More Court Rulings Online, and Free

,----[ Quote ]
| The domination of two legal research services over the publication of federal
| and state court decisions is being challenged by an Internet gadfly who has
| embarked on an ambitious project to make more than 10 million pages of case
| law available free online.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/20/technology/20westlaw.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Berkman Center and CALI Partner to Create New Legal Education Resource

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/home/newsroom/pressreleases/berkman_center_and_cali_partner_to_create_new_legal_education_resource