Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 08 May 2008 20:48 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 08 May 2008 17:32:31 +0100
> <1539573.QTdYaRutb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Reason #1: it forces Microsoft to lower its prices,
>> regardless of market share.
>
> Not 100% sure of that; if we're dumb enough to want
> Genuine Windows Vista Expensive Edition(tm), they're
> smart enough not to lower prices.
>
>> Microsoft adjusts its prices in order to remain relevant.
>
> Or monopolistic. ;-)

I ought to add that Microsoft not only gives away Windows for free if it works
against GNU/Linux, but sometimes it actually pays people to take, e.g. by
covering the cost of the /hardware/. There are some very recent examples of
this. Microsoft actually /wastes/ money getting people 'addicted' to its
programs.

Analogy: a drug dealer handing out chocolate boxes to children, with drug
already inside but aside. It's not a good analogy though because chocolate
cannot be duplicated free of charge, unlike software.

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

>> "[If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?]
>> |
>> [Steve] Ballmer: Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux,
>> certainly have to go with that..."
>
> Heh.  Even if Linux were completely eradicated, there's
> still FreeBSD and HURD to contend with.  It would kill
> a good chunk of the buzz, but OSS isn't that fragile.

HURD was going to be based on Mach and if ever Linux came under some threat
there are many other kernels available today. Linux just has the most
momentum... compare to (Open)Solaris, BSDs, Darwin, etc.

It's the stuff at the upper layer that matters, including great applications
that are even better than any of their proprietary counterparts.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
Swap:  1510068k total,   462112k used,  1047956k free,    76204k cached