Re: What Makes GNU/Linux Microsoft's #1 Rival

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Reason #1: it forces Microsoft to lower its prices, regardless of market
> share. Microsoft adjusts its prices in order to remain relevant. Free
> software keeps it on its toes in that respect. Apple, on the other hand,
> makes sales for Microsoft (Office), keeps its prices up (fixing), and has
> Microsoft as a partner and shareholder.
>
> Reason #2: Linux dominates the embedded space, which is very large
> (probably orders of magnitude larger than the desktop, in terms of CPUs).
> It also controls supercomputers that are increasingly becoming part of the
> more universal network, including search engines (Hadoop comes to mind,
> bigtable).
>
> Reason #3: it shatters misconceptions about Microsoft's foundations, which
> are intellectual monopolies and other nasties like DRM. That's why
> Microsoft talks about 'education' (pollution of minds) as an anti-Linux
> tactic in its latest SEC filing.
>
> Looking at (1-3) again:
>
>   * Linux lowers cost.
>
>   * Linux enables real innovation, performance, efficiency (environment)
>
>   * Linux enables people to be free and it democratises

Here's a 4th one -

4. All new, old and beta versions of Windopws is UNREPAIRABLE.
   It is no longer a viable product for the desktop.
   Only Linux has the looks and feel as a product for the desktop.
   More VIRI, MALWARE and SPYWARE are released
   PER DAY for windowps than fixes for it - it is multi-billion dollar
   industry now with 50 million servers remotely administered by
   botnet operators and 320 million windowps desktop PCs
   remotely administered by botnet operators.

> February 2008:
>
> http://www.news.com
Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc