[News] Open-source Intranet Collaboration and Twitter Decentralisation Pondered

Intranets have eyeballs too

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's talk about Open Source. Everyone knows what it is now. Why does it
| work? Well, I believe that one of the main reasons why it works is that all
| issues/bugs are out in the open for all to see. Sites like sourceforge and
| Tigris and Google code take all the stuff to do with your software project
| and open it up for all to see. Linus' Law then takes over: "given enough
| eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."
|
| Paraphrased to suit my purposes, it goes like this: "given enough advertising
| of the current state of something, all remaining bugs in it are shallow."
| Now. Extend that idea to your own situation in your own organization on your
| own intranet.
|
| Your organization produces content of various forms. On its way to
| completion, it invariably passes through a stage where it has "bugs". It does
| not matter that the content is not software. It could be presentation slides,
| proposals, internal documentation...
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Tech/2427/intranets-advertising-nlstipsm-080506/

Could An Open Source "Twittersphere" Save Twitter? Or Kill It?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Twitter too important to be left in the hands of Twitter? That's the
| argument that bubbled up over the weekend. The argument is that Twitter is
| not distributed. This means that if Twitter goes down no one can Twitter. It
| also means if Twitter goes out of business, or just screws up, we could lose
| all of our tweet history.
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/5/could_an_open_source_twittersphere_save_twitter_or_kill_it_

Related:

Twitter.com CEO: With open source, it's all about the people

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/articles/114369