Re: [News] Gentoo 2008.0 Reaches Beta 2, Screenshots Available

____/ Gregory Shearman on Tuesday 06 May 2008 10:23 : \____

> On 2008-05-05, The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
>><brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 1 May 2008 10:00:12 -0400
>><fftaxqu565rw$.1jk729z5plrw7.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> I'll make sure the 5 people left still using Gentoo hear about it.
>>>

>> I already know about it, putz. :-P
>>

> Yeah.. it's all in linux.gentoo.user
>
> Who cares about this? It doesn't really concern me, as my machine is as
> up to date as the newest Gentoo. Eventually I might switch over my
> profile but nothing really changes.
>
> It's a non-event.
>
> Gentoo doesn't work like other distros, there really isn't any new
> "releases", except for a new install CD.

The main point to make is that lots of devices are built with Gentoo and many
servers run it too (at least the ones whose admin are ricers :-) :-).

IIRC, Gentoo's market share among Linux desktops was last shown to be something
like 7%. DesktopLinux.com, IIRC.

Microsoft loves competition.
"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"
                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief