[News] More Fun and Priases for the Latest Ubuntu GNU/Linux Release

Ubuntu Nuggets - it’s the little things that count

,----[ Quote ]
| The first Ubuntu release hype is slowly passing away. It’s amazing to see
| Ubuntu-related articles rise to the top of social bookmarking sites,
| extolling the wonders of the new Hardy Heron. Too bad most of them stick to
| the obvious and fail to see the not-so-obvious-but-o-so-beneficial smaller
| improvements.
|
| [...]
|
| Yes, the commandline is the first and last line, but in most novice users it
| provokes a ‘Linux is complicated’ response. The advent of these GUI tools and
| their maturity shows that a group of developers really understands the needs
| of these users. Kudos to you all, because you made the work of open source
| ambassadors a lot easier again.
`----

http://www.ruminationsonthedigitalrealm.org/2008/05/04/ubuntu-nuggets-its-the-little-things-that-count

Me and Linx (Ubuntu) - Day 1

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and I have to say it's pretty damn good. I have one
| disk so if you want it you can ask me.
`----

http://giordun.blogspot.com/2008/05/me-and-linx-ubuntu-day-1.html

Xubuntu 8.04 stellar on low-power machines

,----[ Quote ]
| I have to say I’m curious what Xubuntu would do on higher end hardware. For
| those of us who multitask too much and are usually bouncing around more
| applications than we like to admit, this is probably worth another weekend
| project. It will certainly be my OS of choice that I provide to students
| looking to hang onto an aging computer system for another couple of years.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1656

Recent:

Ubuntu 8.04 Is Ready to Take On Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| I popped the Ubuntu CD into my running Vista box, opened the installer
| application, and directed the installer where to store Ubuntu and how much
| space to assign it. Shortly thereafter, the application prompted me to
| reboot, after which it completed the installation process. According to
| documentation on the Ubuntu Web site, there's a performance hit associated
| with this sort of install, but I didn't detect an appreciable slowdown.
|
| The Ubuntu desktop I'd installed within Windows seemed no different from the
| one I'd installed on its own hardware, and I was pleased to find that the
| files from my Windows instance were accessible from Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Ubuntu-804-Is-Ready-to-Take-On-Windows/

Hardy Heron Makes Linux Worth Another Look

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've flirted with the idea of switching your desktop operating system to
| Linux but never took the leap, the time is now. This week's release of Hardy
| Heron, an Ubuntu release that will be supported until 2011, offers a freer,
| more productive space for work and play than ever before. It's not easy
| jumping blind into a new way of thinking or working, and Ubuntu, the
| so-called "Linux for Humans" operating system, is no different. For all the
| online buzz that surrounds the increasingly popular distribution, millions of
| sane, regular people wonder why they'd ever give up their familiar Mac or PC
| to venture into something still relatively new. Today we're shining the
| spotlight on a few great tools and tweaks that make Heron a worthy switch.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/383769/hardy-heron-makes-linux-worth-another-look

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft