[News] FOSS Indemnification is FUD, USPTO Under Fire

Do You Need Open-Source Indemnification?

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering that open-source software and processes are serving an
| increasingly prominent role in the IT industry landscape, and that actual
| lawsuits against open-source end users haven't been materializing, I don't
| think that companies or individuals running open source without
| service-fee-based indemnification are in any particular danger.
|
| Maybe I'm wrong--if I get served for running Linux without an annual service
| contract, I'll be sure to write about it.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/brooks/content/open_source/do_you_need_open_source_indemnification.html

Could Constitutional Flaw Unravel Eight Years of Patent Board Rulings?

| The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office may have a major problem on its hands --
| the possibly unconstitutional appointment of nearly two-thirds of its patent
| appeals judges.
|
| Such a constitutional flaw, if legitimate, could call into question the
| hundreds of decisions worth billions of dollars in the past eight years. The
| flaw, discovered by highly regarded intellectual property scholar John Duffy
| of George Washington University Law School, could also afflict the
| appointment of nearly half of the agency's trademark appeals judges.
|
| A petition raising the issue has just been filed in the U.S. Supreme Court by
| a company whose patent was rejected by a three-judge Board of Patent Appeals
| and Interferences panel. That panel decision was subsequently affirmed by the
| U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which set aside an $86.5
| million infringement verdict won by the company.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1209114346908

Like most government departments, the USPTO is probably just run by
corporations for their selfish interests.

Recent:

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
| answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
| of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
| $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
| universities in Asia."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Opinion: behind the Acacia suit