[News] Bad Bankruptcy at SCO, Fraud at Broadcom

More Hints from More Bills in the SCO Bankruptcy

,----[ Quote ]
| This bill is for $125,930.70, which represents a voluntary reduction.
| Hahahaha. 274.90 hours of financial counseling. What better for a company in
| bankruptcy? The bulk of the time was under the header "Liquidation Analysis".
| What is that? How to run through all your cash so Novell can't get any? Both
| of them have been busy as bees working on SCO's alleged new reorganization
| plan. It seems to be humming along, even if SCO isn't.

SEC charges Broadcom founder, gen counsel

,----[ Quote ]
| The men schemed from 1998 to 2003 to secretly backdate stock option grants,
| which forced the company to eventually restate its financial results and
| report more than $2 billion in extra compensation expenses, the SEC said in a
| statement.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKN1451854920080515

They have been largely Linux-hostile anyway. Perfect fit and good match for
Microsoft (some fairly recent examples below).

Related:

New court date for ex-Microsoft domain buyer

,----[ Quote ]
| A quick scheduling note for anyone tracking the case of Carolyn Gudmundson,
| the former Microsoft domain manager who pleaded guilty to mail fraud after
| she was charged in a complex scheme to steal money from the company:
| Gudmundson's sentencing date, previously set for last Friday, has been pushed
| back to May 16, at the agreement of the lawyers in the case, according to the
| court docket.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/136477.asp?source=rss

First Passport, now fraud: ex-MS employee charged

,----[ Quote ]
| Gudmundson, a former program manager at Microsoft's MSN division, is charged
| with using her position within the company to run a number of different scams
| between 2000 and 2004. According to U.S. attorneys, she would use her
| corporate American Express charge for domain name registration fees, but then
| submit copies of invoices that carried inflated charges.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/07/First-Passport-now-fraud-ex-MS-employee-charged_1.html

Microsoft Lawyer Fees Focus in Iowa

| Microsoft settled the Iowa case for $179.95 million in April.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070831/ia_microsoft_lawyer_fees.html?.v=1

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft buying it's way into OOXML ISO certification?

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Microsoft is just buying the OOXML ISO certification!
`----

http://masuran.org/node/90

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
| information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
| laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
| proceeding said.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm

Microsoft Office raid in Hungary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
| the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
| known as the GVH."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3957835.html

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the
|     Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

Microsoft exec dumped stock prior to Red Ring announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| To make matters more murky, the sales were not registered with the Securities
| and Exchange Commission within the mandatory two days of the transaction, a
| result of an alleged "administrative error." Microsoft has since remedied the
| issue by following the "procedures required of late-filers."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/14/microsoft-exec-dumped-stocks-prior-to-red-ring-addresment

Microsoft's Bach sold more stock before Xbox news

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. executive Robbie Bach sold $3 million more in company stock
| during the period leading up to an announcement about a costly flaw in its
| Xbox video game console than previously reported, according to a filing
| Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-bach-sold-additional-stock/story.aspx?guid=%7BBECA3A50-EF33-4161-A111-A43BDC8B0462%7D&siteid=yhoof

Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]
| MarketWatch.com reports that Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's
| Entertainment and Devices division, sold $6.2 million of Microsoft
| stock just prior to announcing that Microsoft was going to have to
| extend XBox 360 warranties to three years because of extensive
| failures. The filings note that this was not part of any
| scheduled diversification or selling program; this was a
| conscious, unscheduled sale by the guy in charge of releasing
| news that could affect the value of Microsoft stock.
|
| [...]
|
| Insider trading is a very serious violation of the law; just
| ask Martha Stewart, who served five months in prison for
| avoiding losses of $43,000 through trades that just had suspicious
| timing (no insider trading was actually proven). This is $6.3
| million that went straight into Robbie Bach's pocket.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Options troubles aren't over for Apple