[News] New Puppy Linux Shows Real Improvements

Special-purpose distribution:

Puppy Linux 4.0: Has it Learned New Tricks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Puppy Linux 4.0 has really underwent a major overhaul that even its distro
| logo is changed. And based on what I've seen and experienced, the changes
| were overall for the better. The speed and responsive have improved
| considerably, and those added applications and features have really made
| Puppy Linux deserving to be among the best mini Linux distribution out there.
| Puppy Linux 4.0 not only learned some new tricks but also performed those
| tricks in flying colors.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/05/puppy-linux-40-has-it-learned-new.html

Recent:

Puppy Linux 4 gets new bite

,----[ Quote ]
| Its been been six months since Puppy Linux 3.01 was released and today Barry
| Kauler announced Puppy 4.00, aka Dingo. Clocking in at a minimal 87MB
| download, Puppy 4.00 is a lightweight desktop Linux alternative ideal for
| low-end machines, or for users who want a little less clutter and more speed
| from their desktop.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2398

Puppeee: Puppy for your Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Asus Eee PC ultraportable comes bundled with a version of Xandros as its
| operating system. If you would like to try a different Linux distro on your
| Eee, there are plenty of options to choose from, including eeeXubuntu,
| EeeDora, ZenEee,  EeePCLinuxOS, and Puppeee. The latter is based on Puppy
| Linux, a tiny Linux distribution that sports a few unique features that make
| it a perfect candidate for use on machines like the Eee PC.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/131070

Related:

Flipping the Linux switch: Penguin on a (USB) stick

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever wish you had your whole desktop on a flash disk? You know what we mean,
| you take a spreadsheet up to your 'rents, and you realize that they have no
| program to actually open your spreadsheet with. Or maybe you hop from
| computer to computer in several offices, and hate the fact that every
| computer you work on is just different enough to make it difficult to get
| things done.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01/29/flipping-the-linux-switch-penguin-on-a-usb-stick/

Puppy Linux 3.0.1 [Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| Puppy is a nice compromise of tiny and feature-rich. If only it would install
| properly on my test machine, I wouldn't have to dock it a penguin. As a
| LiveCD it's not bad, but its small size shows.
|
| Much like similar micro-distros their very nature makes them hard for me to
| use as a regular desktop, and Puppy is no exception. Although it has a few
| more bells than Damn Small Linux, I still can't use it for anything other
| than LiveCD recovery tasks.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/puppy301.htm

Puppy Linux 3.01 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Short of the issues I had with WPA, overall, the hardware detection was rock
| solid, and I'm impressed. If you have never tried Puppy Linux, I would
| encourage you to give it a go. You may even find that running it from a Live
| CD or a USB drive is enough to best meet your needs. Because it is such a
| light distro, all you really need is a persistent directory for settings
| anyway.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2711&Itemid=449

Puppy Linux grows bigger teeth

,----[ Quote ]
| Even in the less than 100MB ISO, Puppy 3.00 packs an application for every
| task -- from browsing the Internet and chatting to writing reports and
| spreedsheets to watching and ripping DVDs, configuring network devices, and
| monitoring firewalls. If you need still more, Puppy 3.00 can also install
| every application available in Slackware 12's repository. These benefits more
| than balance out the distro's minor quirks.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119848

First look at Puppy Linux 3.00

,----[ Quote ]
| Otherwise, all the applications and the system as a whole offered good
| performance and stable operation. It could be a wonderful start, especially
| for anyone wishing to be a little different, someone needing to save space
| and resources, or those requiring a portable solution. It'd be really great
| on a desktop with minimal input, and could be useful on a laptop with a bit
| more. It may not be the prettiest at the party, but it has a great
| personality.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071008#review

An in-depth look at Puppy Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I've discussed the features of Puppy Linux in this article to show its
| potential uses. But I've left out one vital fact -- Puppy Linux is just plain
| fun. The friendly interface, easy-to-use wizards and bundled how-to's are
| part of this appeal, but it goes beyond this, into how easily you can tailor
| or even remaster the system. Puppy is an engaging system that comes with the
| opportunity to participate in a vibrant user community.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7455536044.html

Taking Puppy Linux for a Walk

,----[ Quote ]
| The two main uses for Puppy Linux (or any Linux live CD) are to:
|
|     * Rescue files from the host PC's hosed hard drive or perform various
|     maintenance tasks (like imaging that drive)
|     * Compute on a machine without leaving a trace—like browser history,
|     cookies, documents or any other files—behind on the internal hard drive
`----

http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/taking-puppy-linux-for-a-walk-307542.php

Puppy 3.00 runs on the $0 Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| It's nice to put in a CD, boot in a couple of minutes and have the Puppy
| environment I love right there for me. Abiword, Geany, Seamonkey, Pidgin,
| ROX-Filer, MtPaint. Every one works great and loads quickly.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/10/puppy_300_runs_on_the_0_laptop.html

Puppy Linux 3.00 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version Puppy Linux is released. Puppy is a distribution for low end
| PCs, designed to run from media like usb sticks. It's size is less than 100
| MB.
`----

http://www.pramnos.com/story69-2322.html

ReviewLinux.Com: Puppy Meet My USB Key