[News] New Compiz Eye Candy for GNU/Linux, Preliminary Look at Bluewhite64 LiveDVD

  • Subject: [News] New Compiz Eye Candy for GNU/Linux, Preliminary Look at Bluewhite64 LiveDVD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:54:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[compiz] [ANNOUNCE] compiz-0.7.6

,----[ Quote ]
| WHAT'S NEW
| ==========
|
| Rewrite of place plugin, which significantly improves multi-output
| behaviour.
|
| Configurable multi-output behaviour in place.
|
| Removed plane plugin. Former plane plugin users are encouraged to use
| the wall plugin of Compiz Fusion.
|
| Removed cube wallpaper painting. Users are encouraged to use the Compiz
| Fusion wallpaper plugin instead.
|
| Place plugin viewport placement viewport numbers are now 1-based.
|
| Panel and desktop selection mode in switcher plugin.
|
| Improved painting behaviour when using overlapping outputs.
|
| Gtk-window-decorator now emits accessibility events when switching.
|
| Gtk-window-decorator behaviour when using Metacity themes has been
| improved to match Metacity better.
|
| KDE4-window-decorator has been adapted to current KDE4 API.
`----

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2008-May/003128.html

Bluewhite64 Linux 12.1 LiveDVD Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiveDVD uses the SMP Linux kernel 2.6.24.7 for improved stability and
| performance. It is designed to offer a modern system on AMD64 and EM64T
| architectures, with the modularized X.org 1.4.0.90 and Compiz, so you can
| enjoy some beautiful desktop effects and in order to make your operating
| system much easier to use. The desktop environment used for this release is
| KDE 3.5.9 with more than 65 languages included, OpenOffice 2.3, Mozilla
| Firefox 2.0.0.14 with Flash support and KDE's Konqueror web browser that has
| also support for Java and Flash.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Bluewhite64-Linux-12-1-LiveDVD-Released-86615.shtml

Recent:

Compiz is Cool – and Why That Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most vexed questions within the open source world is when, if
| ever, GNU/Linux will take off on the desktop. Strangely, this isn't really
| about capabilities: as someone who has Ubuntu running on both of his main
| systems, I can attest to the fact that GNU/Linux is not just usable, it's a
| downright pleasure to use. In fact, I constantly marvel at how transparent
| open source has become: most of the time I'm simply not aware that I'm using
| it – it just works.
|
| This raises the interesting question: so what's missing? What more does open
| source need to do in order to capture the attention of the general user? I
| think the answer can be found on this YouTube video.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=701&blogid=14

New Cylinder Effect For Compiz Fusion

,----[ Quote ]
| Another new compiz fusion effect is being developed called cylinder it looks
| like the famouse cube plugin for compiz fusion except for the fact that
| instead of a cube to switch workspaces with compiz fusion you are rotating
| around a cylinder!
`----

http://neverendinginternet.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/new-cylinder-effect-for-compiz-fusion/

Compiz is the Most Important Thing to Ever Happen to Linux.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://fffff.at/compiz-is-the-most-important-thing-to-ever-happen-to-linux