[News] ZDNet Likes the Latest Mandriva, USA Today Covers GNU/Linux

Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall we liked what we saw. Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring may not be the best
| distro for the newcomer moving over from Windows, but if you're used to the
| way Linux works and want to try something different, give it a try.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/os/soa/Mandriva-Linux-2008-Spring/0,139023442,339289410,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/5ghhve

Lightweight laptops do a delicate balancing act

,----[ Quote ]
| Taiwanese upstart Asus made a name for itself last year with the itty-bitty
| 2-pound, Linux-based $299 Eee PC, popular with techies but hamstrung in a few
| ways. Asus recently unveiled a welcome newcomer, the Eee PC 900. While
| keeping the petite form factor pretty much intact, the latest model ups the
| size of the screen from 7 inches to 8.9 inches, boosting the resolution along
| the way. Alas, the price is also considerably larger: $550, up from $299.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2008-05-28-small-notebook-computers_N.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6nmdnd

Recent:

Mandriva 2008.1 KDE hits a sweet spot

,----[ Quote ]
| It is amazing how well Mandriva performs on what is now considered limited
| hardware. It may not be the most exciting distribution you can install, but
| it runs as expected and performs the complex multimedia tasks I want it to
| run in the manner to which I have become accustomed with earlier
| distributions and releases. It has truly come a long way and is worthy of
| first consideration as an alternative OS.
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2008/05/mandriva-20081-kde-hits-sweet-spot.html

Mandriva on a Low cost notebook : Kira

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people are talking about the Asus Eee PC : low cost, tiny, and for
| the "geeks", running Linux. Mandriva 2008 Spring is compatible out of the box
| with Asus Eee PC. However a new low cost PC is appearing, done by a spanish
| company : AIRIS KIRA. This notebbok is low cost ( 299 € ), and last but no
| least : is running Mandriva Linux !
`----

http://www.linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=202

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Mandriva Tailors Linux For Budget PC Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva says Linux 2008 Spring works out of the box on the Eee PC.
|
| Low-cost PCs from Asus, Everex, and other manufacturers are becoming
| increasingly popular as some computers user conclude that mainstream systems
| running the Windows or Macintosh operating systems are overpowered for their
| needs.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207200374

Related:

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft [after alleged
Microsoft bribery]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124