[News] Linux's Six Degrees of Freedom; MSBBC advertises Microsoft Vapourware

Controlling desktop applications with six degrees of freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Six degrees of freedom (6DOF) devices allow for movement in three axes, tilt
| in two axes, and rotation in the third. Some of these devices look like small
| joysticks -- for example, the SpaceNavigator. These devices are typically
| used for computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) and other 3-D
| applications. With a new programming library, you can now also use them with
| Linux applications.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/135383

The BBC Has Drunk its Brain

,----[ Quote ]
| Good to see the BBC with its finger on the pulse of computing, bravely
| serving up the facts without fear or favour here:
|
|     Microsoft's next operating system (OS) will come with multi-touch
|     features as an alternative to the mouse.
|
| Rather like the Hewlett-Packard touchscreen system I used back in the 1980s.
|
| [...]
|
| Is this a similar statement to 2003's "Bill Gates said that Longhorn will
| have a unified storage system called WinFS." found at
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3220017.stm
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/05/bbc-has-drunk-its-brain.html

Seven's Sleight of Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista inherited many attributes from Mac OS X, the most apparent
| being translucency. Seven is getting multitouch, which Apple demoed and got
| to market first.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/mac_os_x/sevens_sleight_of_hand.html

But the BBC only advertises Microsoft (media partner), at taxpayers' expense.

Related:

BBC pinches hot new columnist from Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/14/bill_gates_bbc_secrets/

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

BBC iPlayer Protests

,----[ Quote ]

`----