[News] Another Low-cost GNU/Linux-based Laptop Debuts, Reviewed

Mini-Review: 3K RazorBook 400 Mini-Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| The unit containing a 4GB SSD, 512MB of memory, and an odd flavor of Linux is
| available from 3K Computers right now for $399. While the system is better
| than expected, is it better than the similarly priced Eee PC 4G with Xandros
| Linux? Let’s find out.
|
| [...]
|
| Right off the bat, I was impressed by the glossy black lid on the RazorBook.
| Like with the CTL IL1PC, it gives the system a nice shine but quickly became
| smeared in fingerprints.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/tag/3k-razorbook-400

Earlier:

Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market

,----[ Quote ]
| Elonex is taking orders for a sub-$200 Linux-based laptop aimed at the
| British educational market. Based on a 300MHz processor, the Elonex One
| includes WiFi, Ethernet, Flash storage, USB, and a 7-inch, 800 x 480
| detachable touch display.

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12/microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]