[News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable for Human Beings

  • Subject: [News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable for Human Beings
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:51:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been a windows user from the start and I have fond memories of 3.1 and
| then 3.11 progressing through each new release until I find myself lumbered
| with Vista on my desktop PC.
|
| [...]
|
| In the future I predict that Linux will be King, long live the King.
`----

http://designfrog.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/linux/

With the exception of 'the desktop', Linux is doing great and it's already King
in several areas.

The Wanky World of Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Lie #1: Nothing runs on Linux.
|
| Answer #1: All the programs I need run on Linux. Ubuntu even has
| a ‘Add/Remove’ option in the ‘Applications’ menu. This lists hundreds of
| available programs you can download and install for Ubuntu. There is also
| something called ‘Synaptic Package Manager’, where you can install thousands
| of things. Anyways, the more people that use Linux, the more applications
| will be available to Linux users.
|
| Lie #2: Linux is for gurus.
|
| Answer #2: Ubuntu is for human beings! I’m not a guru, and I always use
| Linux.
`----

http://bobserge.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/the-wanky-world-of-windows/

Recent:

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk