[News] The Honest Public License That Can Set Google (et al) Free

SaaS Could Gum Up Open Source's Code-Sharing Model

,----[ Quote ]
| The best response to someone creating a closed Web service from something
| open is to create something similar, if not better, and open it up. But if
| you're just now creating something new that lends itself to being reworked as
| a service, the Honest Public License or the AGPLv3 might make sense, at least
| until the more mainstream GPL deals with the SaaS loophole. There's nothing
| wrong with adopting, pre-emptively, a protective measure against something
| like SaaS that may indeed be "unstoppable."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/services/saas/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208200089

Recent:

Google pays for Affero ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The projects will join around 10 other AGPL-licensed efforts on SourceForge,
| compared to six on Google Code. Before the defections, Google had been
| discouraging other AGPL projects, saying Google Code does not support AGPL.
|
| The dispute between Google and developers who want to use AGPL - a version of
| GPLv3 tailored for use in software as a service - has rumbled on since last
| November, when AGPL was finalized.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/11/google_bans_aero/

Google blocking AGPL in Google Code