[News] [Rival] Windows XP SP3 Makes Registry Corruption

XP SP3 update corrupts Windows registry, users claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec Corp. today denied that its consumer security software, including
| Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on
| some users' PCs after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=security&articleId=9087199&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_top

In a newer article. Symantec blames Microsoft.

Add that to data corruption bugs in SP3.

Recent:

Windows XP SP3 still officially AWOL, but can be found on BitTorrent, Microsoft
servers

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, in a low-key announcement on a support newsgroup, Microsoft said
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| it would delay the release of XP SP3 because of data corruption issues
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| between the updated operating system and its retail point-of-sale software.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=intellectual_property_and_drm&articleId=9082098&taxonomyId=144&intsrc=kc_top

XP change corrupts data, hamstrings SP3 rollout

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft spokeswoman on Wednesday acknowledged that the same problems
| affected Dynamics RMS users running XP SP3.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9081438&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top

Windows XP SP3: Beware the service pack!

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing that happened after installing Vista SP1 is that it broke my
| HP printer driver. That wasn't too bad, I fixed that quite easily by
| uninstalling the driver and doing a clean reinstallation. However, the fact
| that a service pack upgrade caused an instability in a previously working
| standard software installation is a concern.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18109/1023/

XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

,----[ Quote ]