Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
High Plains Thumper wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Earth to Corel: open your Office, or give it up

,----[ Quote ]
In a nutshell, StarOffice and OpenOffice.org give users freedom. Both run on almost every modern popular OS the
user might choose to run. Corel's Wordperfect Office?
"Windows!", "as expensive as Microsoft's Office", "no
freedom, same kind of vendor lock-in, only with a
different owner at the end of the dog collar".

In short: Wordperfect Office has a niche, and will
continue to have one. It won't get very far into the
21st century if Corel doesn't open its code. They could
sell support and an enhanced version, just like Sun does
with StarOffice - and it embraces mutiple operating
systems - as the OS is increasingly irrelevant, as
Linux-based tablets and Ubuntu pre-loaded Dell machines
show.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/21/earth-to-corel--open-your-suite

With the ways things are going with the Vista operating
system, I can foresee a paradigm shift.  Windows is at the
end of the life cycle for the product.  Microsoft's cash cow
is its Office Suite. It would not surprise me that in the
near future, to see it open its doors to a Linux version.
Of course that would be a pay version, not open source.  But
it would make sense for corporate survival, IMHO.

Paradigm is so 80's sounding. Learn some new phrases.

Interesting bit of gobshite, really.  Retro is in.

As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you
Linux *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market
share within a couple of months of it's release.

No, didn't hurt advocates, hurt major distributors:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/18/dsg-blames-vista-million-lost

or http://tinyurl.com/6xuk8w

[quote]
DSG blames Vista for £20 million in lost profit
Damp squib
By Paul Hales: Thursday, 18 October 2007, 12:49 PM

UK RETAIL OUTFIT, DSG has issued a profit warning blaming
Microsoft's Vista for £20 million in lost profit.

Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group which runs PC World and
Currys shops, having largely ditched the Dixons label, said:
"Vista just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous
versions of Windows." Although sales volumes have been good, he
said, "We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."

Webb said very few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS
overhaul also hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
[/quote]

Like the EverReady rabbit, Linux keeps going, and going, and going ....

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

[quote]
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

Mauricio broke the news today in his blog about what can only be described as a massive deployment of free software. I'd heard about this project recently, but reading more of the details in Mauricio's blog really cemented in my mind how groundbreaking this is.

In summary: KDE on Linux has stepped up to become the software platform in the primary school education system in Brazil. That may sound like a bold claim, but the numbers are staggering and speak for themselves:

By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be fully deployed and in active use.

By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs serving some 52,000,000 students.

The systems use KDE 3.5 and take full advantage of Debian as well as KDE's Edu and Games projects, use of KDE4 in future implementation is just starting to be explored. Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of the deployment is how they maximize investment in hardware by putting several heads on each system.
[/quote]

http://www.macedonianembassy.org.uk/business.html

A Linux thin client for every child
Andrew Donoghue ZDNet.co.uk
Published: 05 Dec 2007 15:26 GMT

[quote]
The project you are currently engaged with in Macedonia sounds like a massive undertaking, and possibly a record in terms of a thin-client deployment. As far as we know this is the first country-wide, full education deployment where they made the commitment to equip every single student seat in every single school in Macedonia with a computer workstation, and achieve a one-to-one student-to-computer rating, which is the best in the world.

They will be rolling out 180,000 student seats, of which 100,000 are being done right now over a five-month period. They are going into high schools because those students are the closest to entering the workplace and they want them to be computer- literate. Next year 80,000 additional seats are being rolled out into primary schools.
[/quote]

That is Macedonia only. Others are following suit. Indiana Schools, US jumped on it earlier, so did Windsor Schools in California, US, Brasil, Spain, etc.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati