[News] [Rival] Microsoft Loses Another Patent Case; Patent Terrorism Revisited

Microsoft loses U.S. patent suit vs Alcatel-Lucent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft had accused Alcatel-Lucent of infringing four patents for software
| in a system that integrates telephones with computers for calls, messages and
| videoconferences.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2034382420080521

'PatentGate,' one year later: Microsoft against the open-source world

,----[ Quote ]
| "Claiming you have IP that folks are infringing isn't the same thing as
| proving it," wrote Pamela Jones, author of the open-source legal blog
| Groklaw.net, in an e-mail. "I think they [Microsoft] are in a weaker position
| *because* they did the [cross-licensing] deals. It makes them look needy,
| like they can't make it any more without Linux."
|
| "The [legal] threat [to open-source] is no greater" today than a year ago,
| wrote Mark Radcliffe, a lawyer with DLA Piper's Silicon Valley office and the
| general counsel of the Open Source Initiative, which oversees the approval of
| open-source software licenses, in an e-mail.
|
| Take Redmond's attempts to persuade vendors to sign cross-licensing deals
| that include protection from potential open-source patent lawsuits by
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9087438&intsrc=news_ts_head

Recent:

Alcatel-Lucent to integrate Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Realtime

,----[ Quote ]
| The collaboration supports Alcatel-Lucent's Dynamic Enterprise commitment to
| interconnecting people, networks, process and knowledge in a flexible, open
| environment while helping Red Hat expand its business.
`----

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-networks/20080318/NYTU04918032008-1.html

Red Hat, Alcatel-Lucent join forces on unified comms

,----[ Quote ]
| Alcatel-Lucent SME products include the OmniPCX Office line of IP PBX systems
| and the Extended Communication Server line of collaboration and
| unified-communications servers, all of which are based on Linux
| distributions.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39336497,00.htm

Aternity Joins Red Hat ISV Partner Program

,----[ Quote ]
| By joining the Red Hat ISV Partner Program and the Red Hat Ready Partner
| Program, Aternity will take advantage of the program's co-marketing and
| co-branding offerings to further its footprint among the global community of
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux customers.
`----

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/CorporateNews/en/15963615/Aternity+Joins+Red+Hat+ISV+Partner+Program

Alcatel-Lucent locks down laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Running an embedded Linux OS enables third parties to develop software to
|            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| utilise the capabilities of the PCMCIA card or to interoperate with the
| management gateway.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2210112/alcatel-lucent-locks-laptop

Related:

Alcatel-Lucent 'Guardian' Locks Up Your Data

,----[ Quote ]
| The Guardian is a Linux-based notebook PC card loaded with security
| software that checks against a remote server to validate that the
| notebook hasn't been reported lost or stolen.
|
| [...]
|
| Skuler declined to comment on which particular vendor of version of
| Linux Alcatel-Lucent was running on the card other than to say it's
| from a major Linux vendor.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3679026

Alcatel-Lucent says $1.5 billion not enough from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Alcatel-Lucent said in a court filing that $1.5 billion is not
| enough to properly compensate it for Microsoft Corp.'s infringement
| of two digital audio patents.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/alcatel-lucent-says-15-billion-not/story.aspx?guid=%7B3B7D3262%2DF68F%2D4BEC%2D94C1%2D5C0A0EEE8021%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/36hu5v

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
| it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
| is to provoke fear.
|
| If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
| you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
| of the American people as they never have before in the history of
| the country.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

Microsoft's American Proxy Patent War Continues

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ & Company astutely make the connection that behind "IP Innovation LLC" is
| a group called Acacia which is staffed by senior Microsoft agents, including
| Jonathan Taub, a Microsoft Hero & Key Achiever.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/10/microsofts-prox.html

Competition by Proxy

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's pending acquisition of doubleclick "will be bad for consumers"
| because it threatens competition and privacy. So said Microsoft's general
| counsel during a recent Senate subcommittee hearing ( Click here for more).
| Nice of the software giant to take up the cudgel for the little guy. But
| Microsoft has a big stake in blocking the deal--considering that it's losing
| the war to Google over billions of dollars in Internet advertising.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/1029/034.html?partner=yahoomag

Opinion: behind the Acacia suit

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a neat structure. Pump money into Acacia so it can attack Red Hat, and
| at the same time prove to the world how strong the Microsoft patent shield
| really is against those naughty, naughty trolls.
|
| If this works with Acacia, perhaps we can expect a scaled-up attack by
| Intellectual Ventures on Linux users like Google and IBM.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-24106/opinion:behind-the-acacia-suit

Is Acacia link with Microsoft just smoke?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is all this smoke just coincidence? It may well be. But the smoke gets
| thicker by the day.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1587

Playing Microsoft Patent Poker

,----[ Quote ]
| This time though, while Ballmer slinks away to try to con … convince people
| that Microsoft Unified Communications somehow offers people more than what
| Cisco's VOIP (voice over IP) been offering customers for years, a patent
| attack finally launches at Linux. Specifically, IP Innovation, a subsidiary
| of Acacia Technologies Group, has filed a patent infringement claim against
| Linux distributors Novell and Red Hat.
|
| So was it just timing, or was it something more? Let's take a look at the
| players.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2201579,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Clubbing baby Linux penguins

,----[ Quote ]
| So when Microsoft says it respects other people's intellectual
| property, what everyone is thinking is, That's not true. Microsoft
| doesn't respect the GPL, and that's other people's property.
| Microsoft is just trying to kill off a competitor. Again.
|
| Even Sys-con even got it right this time, or at least the
| headline: Microsoft Spits in GPL Creator Richard Stallman's Eye.

Doing the Microsoft patent dance

,----[ Quote ]
| And please, Novell and Xandros, don't whine that Microsoft pulled a
| fast one on you, and reiterate that open source is clean. No one
| needed you to tell them that. Innocent until proven guilty in
| this country. And especially in light of all the evidence that
| points against such claims.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/06/doing_the_micro.html

A Patent Lie