[News] Survey of Free Software for Statistics; Top Android (Linux) Programs

Free/Open-source Statistical Software

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are looking for a computer program that can help you get the results
| of standard statistical procedures and statistical significance tests without
| the need for low-level numerical programming, then a statistical package is
| what you need.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/05/freeopen-source-statistical-software.html

Ten Android Challenge winners featured

,----[ Quote ]
| "10 Apps That Met Google's Android Dev Challenge" takes a sneak peak at ten
| winners from the developers' contest. Last week, the Open Handset Alliance
| (OHA) announced 46 winners out of 1,788 submissions for the first round of
| the Android Developer Challenge. The contest awards the best and most
| innovative of applications built for the Google-backed Java- and Linux-based
| mobile phone application suite due to launch this Fall. Each winner earns
| $25,000, with the chance to compete for awards of $275,000 and $100,000 in
| later rounds.

Compatible across some platforms too (source code available). LiMo comes to
mind.

Autoconf: The Unsung Hero of Source Code Compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the unsung heroes of the open-source revolution is a little program
| called "Autoconf," written and distributed by the Free Software Foundation as
| part of its GNU project. Autoconf was designed to solve a problem that
| existed for many years on Unix systems, namely that they were largely
| compatible at the source level, but not at the binary level. This meant that
| while the source code could remain the same, or mostly the same, no matter
| what version of Unix you were running, you needed to compile the program on
| your particular computer in order for it to work.
`----

http://ostatic.com/162393-blog/autoconf-the-unsung-hero-of-source-code-compatibility

Recent:

R: A (Statistically) Significant Language

,----[ Quote ]
| When people talk about big, successful open-source projects, they often think
| about software that can be used in large organizations. So we hear a great
| deal about the Linux operating system, the MySQL database, and even Ruby on
| Rails as a framework for developing Web applications.
`----

http://ostatic.com/158480-blog/r-a-statistically-significant-language

MIT students demonstrate their Android applications

,----[ Quote ]
| This just in; kids that go to MIT are really F-ing smart. I just saw seven
| Android applications that have been developed over the short span of four
| months — with very little (if any) money — as part of a class
| called “Building Mobile Applications with Android”. It was a lot like most
| college presentations, except that HTC, Google, Verizon, Sprint, and the
| press don’t usually show up.
|
| Hit the jump for a peek at the applications.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/09/mit-students-demonstrate-their-android-applications/

Android : A sneak peek at the future of online gaming...

,----[ Quote ]
| The progress from old MUDS to modern MMORPG was only in terms of technology.
| There was not much of a change in the game play or the basic idea. All that
| is going to change in a few months. City Slickers, one of the Top 50
| submissions of the Google Android Developer Challenge 2008 is going bring a
| breath of fresh air into the world of multi player online gaming.
`----

http://digiwanderlust.blogspot.com/2008/05/android-sneak-peek-at-future-of-online.html

T-Mobile and Google cozy up with Android

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/04/26/t-mobile-and-google-cozy-up-with-android