Re: Schestowitz lies again (was Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Unacceptable "Pay Up or Be Zombie" Tactics)

____/ Book of Job on Tuesday 20 May 2008 12:49 : \____

> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> * Book of Job peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>>
>>> *snip*
>>>
>>> Interesting how, for all the claims you make and links you provide,
>>> you didn't provide anything to support *this* particular claim.
>>>
>>> The reason?  You are lying about what Schneier said.  Indeed, he said
>>> just the opposite:
>>>
>>> "Antivirus is easy. Antivirus products actually work. They have for
>>> years. A lot of the software on [the Infosec] show floor is just
>>> snake oil, but antivirus does work. You should have an antivirus
>>> program."
>>>
>>> Oh, and I'll provide a link for *my* quote:
>>>
>>> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144938/schneier_lots_of
>>> _security_software_is_snake_oil.html>
>>>
>>> I'm sure you'll just claim it was a mistake, a result of posting too
>>> quickly without verifying.  And yet, your mistake attributes the
>>> complete opposite meaning to what was said.
>>>
>>> Odd, that.
>>
>> Of course, you stopped your quote short.  Here's the whole paragraph:
>>
>>    Schneier: Antivirus is easy. Antivirus products actually work. They
>>    have for years. A lot of the software on this show floor is just
>>    snake oil, but antivirus does work. You should have an antivirus
>>    program. You should have it updated regularly. It doesn't make you
>>    secure, but it gets that bottom layer of the trivial stuff. That's
>>    why. It's not sufficient but it's certainly necessary.
>
> I snipped what was unneccessary to prove Roy's quote false.  Whether it's
> "sufficient" or only "gets that bottom layer" is irrelevant to the point I
> was trying to make.  The point is that Roy misremembered (or down-right
> lied about) Schneier's statement to make it the exact *opposite* of what
> he actually said.
>
> Now, if you want to make the argument that antivirus by itself is not
> enough security, you won't get any argument from me.  Security is far more
> comprehensive than just installing a piece of software and going on your
> merry way.

Article's headline:

                "Schneier: Lots of Security Software Is 'snake Oil'"

I wrote:

                "Schneier publicly calls it [AV software] "snake oil" now"

Let it rest. You're being pedantic with the sole intention of mocking someone.

Microsoft loves competition.
"Fucking Eric Schmidt is a fucking pussy. I’m going to fucking bury that guy, I
have done it before, and I will do it again. I’m going to fucking kill
Google."
                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO