Re: [News] Everyone is a Terrorist Now, Even Gary

> ____/ GreyCloud on Saturday 08 November 2008 21:09 : \____
>

>> Sinister Midget wrote:
>>
>>> On 2008-11-08, GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

<snip>

>> He got in without a password from what I gather.
>> The mils security at that time was a pretty big joke.
>>
>>> Maybe because they don't want to take his word for it, and they'd
>>> rather find out if he's seen more than they ever did or will know
>>> about.
>>>
>>> Not everything that's claimed to be a coverup is a coverup. Not
>>> everything that's claimed to be a coverup isn't a coverup.
>>>

>> It is hard to say for certain.  There are so many twists and turns to these
>> things that it would make a fox go crazy.
>
> They needed a scapegoat and they need to make it seem like he did malicious and
> sophisticated things (not just changing wallpapers).
>
> In reality, from what I can gather, he was accused of causing 'damage' (some
> inflated figures they quoted), but I imgaine that the costs were associated
> with improving security. He did them a favour; better some alien-curious guy
> than Chinese espionage. He caught their flaws early and causes little or no
> harm. They are very, very lucky
>
> - From the news today:
>
> Chinese hack into White House network
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Chinese hackers have penetrated the White House computer network on multiple
>| occasions, and obtained e-mails between government officials, a senior US
>| official told the Financial Times.
> `----
>
> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2931c542-ac35-11dd-bf71-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F2931c542-ac35-11dd-bf71-000077b07658.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=&nclick_check=1
>
> And yes... Bush&Cretins foolishly chose Windows.
>
> Expert: White House Negligent on E-Mail
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The White House e-mail troubles began in 2002 with a decision to upgrade
>| electronic message capabilities and move from Lotus Notes to Microsoft
>| Exchange.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080303/white_house_e_mail.html?.v=1

The worst bit about this is the abuse of the anti-terrorism laws,
the US have of which *still* hasn't been enacted anyway, to bully some
minor computer guy who was daft enough to go digging into poorly secured
US computers.  Personally, I suspect that Mr McKinnon is a sandwich
short of a picnic, but no doubt that won't stop the US legal system.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |