[News] Merger in Free 'NVIDIA Driver', Improvement to Blobs Too

Nouveau Merged In Gallium3D 0.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephane Marchesin, the leader of the Nouveau project, has announced that the
| Mesa work has been merged into the Gallium3D version 0.2 branch instead of
| being developed in an independent branch. Nouveau is the community project
| that's been reverse-engineering NVIDIA's binary Linux driver in order to
| provide an open-source 2D and 3D driver for NVIDIA graphics hardware.
| Gallium3D is the 3D graphics architecture developed by Tungsten Graphics that
| delivers a number of advantages to both developers and end-users.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njg1MQ

NVIDIA Driver Brings PureVideo Features To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the course of the past few months we have been saying that the NVIDIA
| 180 Linux driver to be released in the fourth quarter of 2008 would hold in
| store a few interesting features. Well, today that closed-source driver has
| been released in beta form. This driver adds a new VDPAU API, which provides
| PureVideo-like features on Linux, adds in CUDA 2.1 support, new workstation
| performance optimizations, X Render improvements, and other improvements.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_180_vdpau&num=1

Earlier:

Nvidia loses market share to AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| Helped along by its new line, AMD managed to power its way from 35 per cent
| market share in Q2 to 40 per cent in Q3, as well as forcing Nvidia and its
| band of not so merry partners to slash prices on its recently-released GTX
| 200 series.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/12/nvidia-loses-market-share-amd

Recent:

Nvidia settles price-fixing lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| Nvidia has settled a class action lawsuit that alleges it conspired with AMD
| to fix graphics chip prices.
|
| The proposed settlement, outlined in the company's latest filing with the US
| Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), offers initial plaintiffs $112,500
| and a further $1.7m to all the others who subsequently signed up when the
| lawsuit attained class-action status.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/30/nvidia_settles_lawsuit/

Nvidia chipsets are defective too

,----[ Quote ]
| LOOKS LIKE THOSE wacky folk at Nvidia are at it again, changing perfectly
| good chipsets for no reason. If you recall, they changed the G86 parts and
| the G92/G92b as well, for no reason.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/22/nvidia-chipsets-defective

Nvidia reshuffles execs

,----[ Quote ]
| AS NVIDIA CONTINUES its process of laying off 360 people by the end of
| October, it seems some upper level Nvidians are getting shifted around, too.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/22/nvidia-reshuffles-execs

Nvidia sued for violations of federal securities law

,----[ Quote ]
| The suit, filed in the Northern District Of California, San Jose branch by
| Shalov, Stone, Bonner and Rocco, LLP alleges violation of federal securities
| laws.
|
| The suit is nothing shocking if you have been following the Nvidia bad chips
| fiasco.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/10/nvidia-caught-bollocks

Analyst says AMD gaining ground vs. Intel, Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| An analyst said Friday that Advanced Micro Devices Inc., the struggling chip
| giant, appeared to be gaining some ground on rivals Intel Corp. and Nvidia
| Corp.
| But Craig Berger of Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co. also said AMD's stated
| goal to revamp its manufacturing operations, a change dubbed "asset lite,"
| has become more important as the chip giant potentially faces another "cash
| crunch."
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/analyst-says-amd-gaining-ground/story.aspx?guid=%7B5368402C-AEB0-4A3D-BA67-07A7BDE7DB99%7D&dist=msr_30
http://tinyurl.com/5kky9n

Nvidia chipsets are history

,----[ Quote ]
| THERE ARE A ton of 'rumors' floating around about Nvidia giving up the ghost
| on it's ailing chipset division. Nvidia is desperately trying to deny it, but
| don't believe the spin, the division is deader than an Nvidia mobile GPU.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/feeds/rss/generic/en/GB/inq/latest/gb/inquirer/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/02/nvidia-chipsets-dead
http://tinyurl.com/5rgo6c

How Closed Does Nvid[i]a want to Be?

,----[ Quote ]
| Not so much staying closed, as closing down....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-closed-does-nvida-want-to-be.html

Nvidia "opens can of whoop-ass" on itself

,----[ Quote ]
| Nvidia is going to lose gobs and gobs of market share this year. They are
| effectively out of notebooks, will lose the high end in days, don't have
| anything close to a competitive line-up, have higher costs than ATI, and have
| to shell out money to keep partners alive. If you think this is bad, wait a
| little.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/02/nvidia-opens-whoop-ass-itself

Kernel space: drivers that don't make the kernel scene

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux supports most hardware "out of the box" without adding a driver. Most
| of the missing drivers are proprietary, from uncooperative manufacturers, but
| there are a few where the license is right but the actual code is still
| missing. Why?
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/062408-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

How NVidia impedes Free Desktop adoption.

,----[ Quote ]
| nvidia.ko: The NVidia driver is the single component in a KDE4 / Free
| Operating system stack causing us most of the hard-to-solve problems. In
| other words, nvidia.ko has grave technical shortcomings.
`----

http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=819

Linux Foundation points finger at Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Though a statement issued Monday does not cite Nvidia by name, Linux
| Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair James Bottomley cited Nvidia in a
| phone interview. "My intent is to point out the problems Nvidia has been
| causing themselves with their binary-only (drivers)," he said. "They are
| certainly one of the few companies sticking to a binary-only strategy."
| Binary-only means the drivers are essentially closed.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9975720-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Kernel_Driver_Statement

NVidia says no to request to release open source drivers, once again

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2588