[News] FUD and Lies Around GNU/Linux and ASUS

ASUS On Linux & Warranties

,----[ Quote ]
| The first has to do with a sticker that appeared on the bottom of some units
| indicating that opening the unit will void the warranty. This is
| unthinkable – even a simple RAM upgrade, which many folks do immediately upon
| purchasing an Eee PC, requires opening the access panel on the bottom.
| Indeed, ASUS agrees and has publically clarified that this is not the case.
`----

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2008/11/13/asus-on-linux-warranties/

Recent:

Asus promises $200 eee PC in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no doubt about, when it comes to selling small laptops (or what's now
| often called a netbook) Asus is king of the hill. Just like most people think
| of Apple's iPod when it comes to MP3 players Asus' eee PC brand has become
| synonymous with small inexpensive laptops. I honestly can't remember the last
| university lecture where I didn't see at least one student with an eee PC and
| on a short 2h train-ride on the weekend I spotted 3 people using eee PCs.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/competition/asus_promises_200_dollar_eeepc_in_2009.html

Asus ships 700,000 Eees in a month

,----[ Quote ]
| Admittedly, Asus still has some way to go if it wants to beat its own goal of
| shipping 24 million motherboards this year. So far, the firm has ‘only’
| managed to ship 17.22 million units in Q3.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/06/asus-manages-ship-700-eees

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12/microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Acer bets big on Linux