Re: [News] Internet Privacy is Dead, Everyone is a Suspected Terrorist

  • Subject: Re: [News] Internet Privacy is Dead, Everyone is a Suspected Terrorist
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:09:41 +0000
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:D4y3kwPIUYJuWOsgTFB5TQuDVcM=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Government plans for 'black box' web surveillance take shape

How do they propose to monitor and log Internet traffic, if it is routed
through encrypted VPN tunnels to non-MLAT jurisdictions?

Lemme guess, are they going to block VPN next?

Which of the 65535 ports will they block?

Maybe they'll just block everything except port 80 (whoops, no - VPN can
use that port too).

Maybe they'll ban *all* communications with Russia, China, Panama, Iran,
etc., but then how will they deal with cascading VPN through non-blocked
countries?

Maybe they'll use DPI to identify and block *all* encrypted traffic, but
then what will they do if VPN starts utilising steganography to mask the
datastream signature into something innocuous like a photo or video? Are
they going to ban those too?

Eventually these nuts will either have to give up, or take their fascist
agenda to its ultimate conclusion, by just "switching off" the Internet;
telephones; radio; and any other form of remote communication, devolving
mankind into a pre-civilisation state of isolation, where our only means
of communication is face-to-face or by letter. What will they do then to
satisfy their irrepressible paranoia? Will they open all our snail-mail;
assign a secret-service "tail" to every man, woman and child, to monitor
and record every word they say and everything they do? What next - brain
implants to monitor and record our *thoughts*? How desperate are they to
turn us all into their slaves?

> British Government Violates Copyright

Yeah, not only are they fascists, but they're a bunch of hypocrites too.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 00:09:21 up 8 days,  7:52,  4 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.96, 1.08