Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Tuesday 11 November 2008 12:36 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> ____/ Darth Chaos on Tuesday 11 November 2008 01:13 : \____

>>> I figure there will also be a taxpayer-funded bailout of Microsoft.
>>> There's already been a taxpayer-funded bailout of the credit/banker
>>> industry, and now there's talk of a taxpayer-funded bailout of the
>>> American auto industry.
>>
>> There is a resemblance to be noted here. Big bosses with big bonuses amassed
>> fortunes (maybe in overseas bank account) while leaving their companies at
>> high risk or empty shells with no real assets. With the bailout, people pay
>> the price while the Fat Cats get to keep their stash and get more bonuses
>> for their corruption.
>>
>> Similarly, SweatyB, BillG and others built an empire of personal wealth but
>> Microsoft is already nearing debt BASED ON PUBLIC DISCLOSURES. The /reality/
>> could be more similar to Enron's.
>
> Well, they all have 70 days to cash out.  <grin>
>
> I hope a little balance comes back with the next administration.

All sorts of stores go titsup overnight, unexpected. There was another large
chain yesterday, with rumours about DSG surfacing too.

Remember how shocking SCO's bankruptcy seemed at the time? They had a visit
from the SEC just a while earlier and the SEC found nothing wrong.

With Microsoft on the other hand...

SEC Investigating Microsoft Practices -- Earnings Manipulated, Former Employee
Contends

,----[  Quote]
| "The CFO to whom Charlie was reporting his concerns about illegality was the
| biggest advocate for the very illegality that was going on," Vial argued in
| court a year ago.
`----

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990701&slug=2969514

Microsoft Agrees To Refrain From Accounting Violations in SEC Settlement
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has agreed to refrain from accounting violations to settle federal
| regulators' allegations that it misrepresented its financial performance, the
| government announced Monday.
|
| Under a settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the software
| giant neither admitted to nor denied wrongdoing. No fine was imposed.
|
| The SEC alleged that Microsoft's accounting practices from July 1994 through
| June 1998 caused its income to be substantially misstated.
`----

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/18819490

Why settle if there was nothing amiss? Why pay Charlie $4 million to shut up
and destroy the evidence of alleged fraud? <
http://web.archive.org/web/20070308032343rn_2/www.seattleweekly.com/1999-01-06/news/microfraud.php

Read the article above. It seems like Microsoft got chummy-chummy with the SEC.

Maybe it's OK, but we don't know for sure. Microsoft was pretty caught cheating
its investors before.

We don't know... the answer might come out one day though.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"