Re: Terry is back

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:24:05 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:58:36 -0500
> <SvOdnbkYptSxr2jVnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:12:59 +0100, Homer wrote:
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Terry Porter spake thusly:

>>> Crikey!
>>>
>>> We better evacuate the Trolls, for humanitarian reasons.
>>
>> Hahahah, Hi Homer :)
>>
>> I'm not the Troll eater I used to be, time and age have taken their
>> toll.
>>
>> I'm 54 years old now and only eat the odd live Windows advocate for
>> breakfast, as I'm finding they lack nutrition.
>>
>> Wintrolls are stale like bread made in October 2001, and their diet of
>> XP isn't doing them any good, it's just too damn OLD!
>>
>> Most Wintrolls find the new Windows sustenance called Vista just
>> doesn't agree with them for some reason.
>>
>> There is only one modern, Free, up-to-date, and outstanding OS around,
>> it's called Gnu/Linux, and of course every real Linux advocate here
>> knows it :)
>>

>> Cheers
>> Terry
>>

> Well, FWIW, not much has changed, although I don't remember if you left
> before Roy decided to start his news service.

Neither can I !

> I also have bad news....and I wish I knew precisely what version of
> Apache is affected.  Seems that a site named zone-h.org is tracking
> successful hacks of websites, and Apache is at the top of the heap -- a
> dubious honor, at best.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/security_report.html
>
> shows a critical Chunked encoding vulnerability in 1.3.25 (fixed in
> 1.3.26) but little else, unless web servers are using Win32 (there's a
> Win32 Apache Remote command execution capability fixed in 1.3.24).
>
> Color me extremely curious and rather worried, but it appears that IIS
> is now *more* secure than Apache, at least from the standpoint of
> successful hacks.

That's hard to know, as it's difficult to get past the stats and damn
lies to uncover the truth these days.

I see Code-Red and Nimda attempts in my logs every day, and these are
Windows server only exploits.

> zone-h.org is now back up and shows 69.55% successful hacks of Linux as
> of last week, with 21.00% Win2003, and 5.04% Win2000.  One of the bigger
> hacks was of phoeniz.lpl.arizona.edu, the Martian lander, apparently. It
> is running Apache 2.2.8.
>
> One has to wonder what hole allowed the intruders in; the Apache website
> above only suggests cross-scripting vulnerabilities, and I don't know if
> that'll do it or not. (I'm not much of a hacker/cracker type.)
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1235
>
> suggests they used remote SQL injection.  (Fortunately, this particular
> attack was limited to defacement/redirction of the page; no malware was
> sent -- but what about next time?)

SQL injection isn't really the fault of the web server is it ?
As far as I know, it's the fault of the application or database.

In any event, Apache is so configurable, it's pretty easy to prohibit
data that would enable SQL injection, and log such attempts.

There are articles on the Internet that show how to do this.

> Of course, there's still the question of *desktop* security; Linux still
> wins there -- thank goodness for small favors.

I admit I'm *really* out of touch with Windows on the desktop, and I plan
to keep it that way.

Here are my latest Apache 2 server stats from Awestats:-
Operating Systems
Versions	Hits	Percent
Windows	75766	75.8 %
Windows XP	57129	57.2 %
Windows NT	30	0 %
Windows Vista	15827	15.8 %
Windows CE	4	0 %
Windows 98	87	0 %
Windows 2003	1654	1.6 %
Windows 2000	1035	1 %
BSD	32	0 %
OpenBSD	30	0 %
FreeBSD	2	0 %
Linux	14643	14.6 %
Ubuntu	8031	8 %
Suse	221	0.2 %
Red Hat	29	0 %
Mandriva (or Mandrake)	37	0 %
Fedora	800	0.8 %
Debian	774	0.7 %
Centos	30	0 %
GNU Linux (Unknown or unspecified distribution)	4721	4.7 %
Macintosh	8214	8.2 %
Mac OS X	8214	8.2 %
Others	1179	1.1 %
Unknown	1057	1 %
Unknown Unix system	84	0 %
Sun Solaris	38	0 %

Browsers (Top 10)
MSIE	 	14139	14.1 %
Msie 8.0	No	462	0.4 %
Msie 7.0	No	9725	9.7 %
Msie 6.0	No	3939	3.9 %
Msie 5.5	No	11	0 %
Msie 5.01	No	1	0 %
Msie ?	No	1	0 %
FIREFOX	 	70932	71.1 %
Firefox 3.1	No	245	0.2 %
Firefox 3.0.3	No	55398	55.5 %
Firefox 3.0.2	No	1075	1 %
Firefox 3.0.1	No	3847	3.8 %
Firefox 3.0	No	1818	1.8 %
Firefox 2.0.0.9	No	109	0.1 %
Firefox 2.0.0.7	No	122	0.1 %
Firefox 2.0.0.6	No	271	0.2 %
Firefox 2.0.0.5	No	52	0 %
Firefox 2.0.0.4	No	172	0.1 %
Firefox 2.0.0.3	No	151	0.1 %
Firefox 2.0.0.2	No	30	0 %
Firefox 2.0.0.17	No	4686	4.6 %
Firefox 2.0.0.16	No	602	0.6 %
Firefox 2.0.0.15	No	99	0 %
Firefox 2.0.0.14	No	616	0.6 %
Firefox 2.0.0.13	No	107	0.1 %
Firefox 2.0.0.12	No	338	0.3 %
Firefox 2.0.0.11	No	501	0.5 %
Firefox 2.0.0.10	No	83	0 %
Firefox 2.0.0.1	No	32	0 %
Firefox 2.0.0.0	No	29	0 %
Firefox 2.0.0	No	32	0 %
Firefox 2.0	No	63	0 %
Firefox 1.5.0.6	No	1	0 %
Firefox 1.5.0.4	No	30	0 %
Firefox 1.5.0.12	No	391	0.3 %
Firefox 1.5.0.11	No	2	0 %
Firefox 1.0	No	30	0 %
NETSCAPE	 	20	0 %
Netscape 5.0	No	1	0 %
Netscape 4.0	No	19	0 %
Others	 	14619	14.6 %
Safari	No	6560	6.5 %
Opera	No	4790	4.8 %
Mozilla	No	1994	1.9 %
Konqueror	No	638	0.6 %
Unknown	?	181	0.1 %
BonEcho (Firefox 2.0 development)	No	116	0.1 %
Epiphany	No	87	0 %
K-Meleon	No	70	0 %
Vienna (RSS Reader)	No	56	0 %
Links	No	54	0 %
NetNewsWire (RSS Reader)	No	34	0 %
Galeon	No	30	0 %
LibWWW	No	5	0 %
Wget	Yes	2	0 %
BlogBridge (RSS Reader)	No	1	0 %
Liferea (RSS Reader)	No	1	0 %

An interesting stat I see here, is that while Windows is dominant, Linux
is as popular as Vista :)

> All in all, welcome back to the fray... ;-)

Thanks!

I must admit, I don't expect much from the current crop of Wintrolls,
their posts nowdays make obnoxious 6 years olds I once knew seem like
Einstein.

When I was here last, around 2001, things were far more exciting as XP
had just been released, and how the Wintrolls were stamping their big
hairy flat feet in excited expectation of wonderful things to come from
Microsoft.

I thought it was all a big yawn. XP looked like 'Toys R Us' to me, same
old stuff.

Now it's 2008, XP is still the most popular OS amongst Windows users, and
it's EIGHT YEARS OLD !!!!!

HAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA, GACK,SPIT, COUGH, ahh I
needed that!

XP is eight years old, and it sure looks dated to me. Then again it
looked dated when it first came out, hello ... can anyone spell NT ?

Flatfish used to carry on about how old Linux was etc, talk about irony :)

Sure Compiz-Fusion is all bling and personally I use ICEwm (still), but
Compiz does show the advanced display technology available in Linux.

Compiz also makes great big saucer eyes out of Windows users when they
see it, in fact I'm pretty sure that Compiz has stopped the brains of a
couple as their mouths worked like stranded Guppies as they stared.

Windows ..... where do you want to be stuck yesterday ?

Cheers
Terry