Re: Terry is back

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:17:09 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

> Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After several years away from COLA, I thought I'd pop in, say hi, and
>> see if the Wintrolls are still as active as they used to be,
>> considering the beating they are taking these days, in every area.
>>
>> Hi to all the new Linux advocates and the old ones as well, g'day Mark
>> K!
>
> I raise my hat Sir!  Welcome back!

Hi Mark!

> I very much hope you'll be able to
> post here from time to time again - your style is refreshing, open and
> clearly based around personal experience and knowledge.

Why thank you, you know how I do love squishing Wintrolls :)

>> Contrary to the usual silly "I've gone back to Windows" fake posts in
>> my name, Linux is still my *only* OS, and I use it for everything as
>> always.
>
> Snap!
>

>> I've been very fortunate and have no need to use anything other than
>> Linux in my daily work since 1997, which many Linux advocates cannot
>> say (unfortunately) due to the Microsoft Monopoly.
>
> Fortunately, the evolution, firefox, pidgin, oo.org plus pdf and image
> viewers, as well as totem & mplayer provide a perfect and highly
> functional replacement for work windows.  I've been using this
> combination full-time for my "work" pc for about 12 months now - it's
> excellent.

The only problem is that you have *much* more time to work, as Linux just
merges into the background, no more reboots and re-installs etc etc.

Windows users cannot begin to comprehend my increased productivity with
Linux.

>> I've been flat out the last 5 years with my own WiFi business, doing
>> technical support, network designs and supplying Access Points, so I
>> won't be posting here often, certainly not like I once used to, with up
>> to 300 replies a day.
>
> Ah, they were great times :-)

I have a few regrets, naming some questionable posters as Wintrolls, and
I could have probably used the time to make a few hundred thousand
dollars instead, but hey, the time was right for it.

>> I can almost hear Kelsey B breath a sigh of relief. Never fear Kelsey,
>> I'm older and a bit wiser now ;-)
>>
>> Work:
>> I've personally supplied around 3500 Access points over the last 5
>> years all powered by Linux of course, as Linux in the embedded space is
>> the sensible option.
>
> But Terry, all the trolls say that you can't run a business on Linux, so
> this must be untrue :-))

Hahahahah

I've just bought a brand new deLL 2408 24" (PVA) LCD this last fortnight,
it's unopened as I've been so busy, cost was about $615 AUD.
In all, I've spent about $10k on toys in the last 6 months, not including
paying rent, electricity, food, motor vehicle costs and all the usual
other stuff.

Every cent has come from a Linux related income.

Not only that, but my entire business RUNS entirely 100% on Linux.

>> Even my TV, a 32" LG Hidef TV runs Linux.
>>
>> My three commercial set top boxes run Linux.
>>
>> My partner Janice, runs Linux Debian 4.0 on her workstation, and her
>> Acer Aspire one runs Linpus (default).
>>
>> Our server a hp-netserver runs Slackware, and this workstation which is
>> a Intel quad core runs Gnu/Gentoo/Icewm. It has 27 virtual desktops,
>> all of which are packed with applications.
>>
>> I have two Asus Eeepc900's one I use for Wifi work and runs Debian
>> Lenny, the other is a spare, still unpacked in its box.
>
> I've got 2 Debian-based gaming & general purpose machines, 2 Nokia 770
> linux web tablets,

hey, I have a Nokia 770 as well!

> one Nokia 800 linux web tablet, 2 Linksys wrt54gl
> wireless routers running "white russian" (linux),

I have a WRT54Gl that sits on the Internet with its Reverse SSH server
totally exposed.

root@SSH:~# uptime
 06:33:37 up 9 days, 19:33, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

It purpose is to allow me to remotely administrate Linux clients who are
behind firewalls.

> a Bubba Excito linux
> server, a Mythtv box (Ubuntu+Myth),

Mine is a Dreambox running Linux natively, and two Chinese set top players
also running Linux from the factory.

> a general file server, nis server,
> usenet and more which is Debian, my Asus/ubuntu work desktop (dual
> monitor, dual-core AMD), plus Mrs Mark has an archos 504 media player
> (linux), and a TomTom G700 (also linux), I have a Go900 (linux), a
> Motorola A780 phone (linux), no1 son has a dualPPC mac running Kubuntu
> and a Mac mini (xubuntu), and a GamePark GP2X (linux gaming machine),
> no2 son has a PS3 (ubuntu), a GP2X (as above), and an HP laptop running
> Xubuntu.

Awesome!

> And... it all works terribly reliably.

Of course.

Anyone who believes the claims of Clogwog about Marks Linux loyalties is
making a big mistake, it's "Clogwog' who cannot be believed.

>> In 1997 it was clear that Linux was an unstoppable force, and it's
>> interesting to see how Linux has grown exponentially since that time,
>> which is amazing considering the size and power of the Convicted
>> Monopolist which attempts every day to cut off the supply of Linux
>> devices by any and all means possible, both legal and illegal.
>>
>> Now for some uptimes :-
>> This workstation: gronk1 mnt # uptime
>>  23:55:13 up 56 days,  7:02, 31 users,  load average: 2.12, 2.09, 2.09
>> Server: root@wifi:/var/www/htdocs/public# uptime
>>  22:53:12 up 44 days,  5:43,  6 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.13
>
> I used to have a UPS on my main server box, but the UPS broke down
> before the server did...

As they do, did the battery dry out ?

<snip>
>> Firewall rulesets: FwBuilder
<snip>

> Good point!  I'll have to look at FwBuilder - I use the policy routing
> in linux to mix two adsl lines (I have two ISPs), so it'll be
> interesting to see if there's some help out there to simplify setting it
> up.

FwBuilder is really *outstanding*, has a high initial learning curve, but
you'll never use anything else after the 'penny drops' :)

Please feel free to email me about it if you need any pointers.

> Oh, just to clarify, Homer does the stats,

On YA Homer :)

> although I held the script
> briefly, and did contribute some input way back when Roy Culley was
> running it.  I do the Digest, though, so if you'd care to post a [News]
> item (or anyone else care to, for that matter), then, so long as you
> keep to the standard syntax, my script will pick it up and include it.
>
> The Digest gets quite a readership outside of cola, so it's well
> worthwhile.  Perhaps you might have some news about your business?

Absolutely, I'll get to work on a few articles :)

It's Friday night here, and my work week is over (till tomorrow), all
orders are shipped and I'm just leaning back relaxing, passing my scope
crosshairs over some sad warty Wintrolls hiding under the Cola bridge.