Re: [News] Mozilla Lobbies for Open/Libre Video on the Web

After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
>>  this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> --- "Although HTML 5 does not officially include Ogg Vorbis and Theora as
>>> baseline codecs for the new VIDEO and AUDIO tags, Mozilla has adopted
>>> them
>>> for its own implementation."
>>>
>>> I'd be willing to wager good money that if Microsoft added non-standard
>>> HTML
>>> tags for "its own implementation" that several "advocates" would be
>>> screaming how it's a plot to subvert internet standards.
>>
>> And rightly so.  You see, Firefox runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, and many
>> other UNIXen.
>
> Sounds like you're trying to make the case that the end justifies the means.
> Cross platform or not, it's still a non-standard HTML tag specific only to
> their browser.

Huh?  It's on the books, and Microsoft is in on the discussion,
apparently.

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#video

   4.8.7.1 Video and audio codecs for video elements

   User agents may support any video and audio codecs and container
   formats.

   http://www.w3.org/QA/2007/12/when_will_html_5_support_soone.html

   It would be helpful for interoperability if all browsers could
   support the same codecs. However, there are no known codecs that
   satisfy all the current players: we need a codec

      * that is known to not require per-unit or per-distributor
        licensing,
      * that is compatible with the open source development model,
      * that is of sufficient quality as to be usable, and
      * that is not an additional submarine patent risk for
        large companies.

There are patent issues with H.264.  VC-1 is also at issue.
Ogg seems to be much less encumbered, except by politics.

--
Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
		-- Shakespeare