[News] GNU/Linux Benefits from the Recession

Surviving the recession with Free Linux distributions (Part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
| Times are tough. You’re a computer geek and you need to feed your PC with the
| latest and greatest applications. What’s a frugal nerd to do? A group of
| industry peers was recently asked by a colleague the following question:
| “If an SMB wants to upgrade from XP, what Linux variants would you
| recommend?”

Tim Bray explained this in his new talk:

The Second Great Depression

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not just Linux, of course. It's also using Free and Open Source Software
| (FOSS) to replace proprietary and often costly software. If I can offer
| alternatives that save licensing costs for multiple products a business needs
| the savings can add up, perhaps more than enough to make learning a new
| product and transferring or converting data worthwhile.

Open-source innovation in a recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Nat Torkington over at O'Reilly suggests that a recession will be very kind
| to open source as companies seek to lower their IT costs while continuing to
| service business needs.

Hard Times: Open Source's New Big Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Grim financial times are not "ahead"; they're here, now. Belt-tightening and
| budget-butchering across the board are the order of the day. Now's the time
| for commercial vendors of open source to show what they're made of: if they
| can weather this, they can weather anything.

Open source is about belief in code

,----[ Quote ]
| After every collapse, under the open source principle, we start from a higher
| level. What looks in the proprietary world like rubble is, in an open source
| world, gold ore.
| This may sound like pollyanna to you now, but it’s important and, best of
| all, real. If your faith in Wall Street has been shaken, remember that in
| open source you’re not starting at ground zero but on a higher level of code.
| Open source was made for times like this. You don’t have to believe in it.
| Just use it.

Compiere Closes Third Quarter with Continued Global Expansion and 195 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Compiere, Inc., the global leader in open source business solutions, this
| week closed a strong third quarter during which the company reports a 195
| percent revenue growth for Q3 2008 compared to Q3 2007, as well as a 59
| percent growth in subscribers. In addition, the company continued its global
| expansion by adding partners in North America, Europe, Middle East and
| Africa, and Asia Pacific regions.

Stay secure despite crunch

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software packages are another option from companies who want to
| reduce the cost of their IT security. There are numerous examples of
| open-source security products that are used by businesses around the world.
| Clam AB is a well regarded anti-virus package.
| According to Gavin Henrick from open source consultancy Enovation, Clam AB is
| a viable option for Irish firms looking for an alternative to
| subscription-based products like Norton Anti-Virus. Similarly, Snort is a
| popular open source network intrusion prevention and detection system.

Open source in a time of recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Something new will emerge from this recession but open source enters it on a
| fairly mature level. The legal framework and values of it are established.
| There are serious open source players.

Can Ruby, Rails Make Developers Shine in a Downturn?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will specialty coding skills help developers ride out the financial crisis?
| Some say environments like Ruby and Ruby on Rails may enable developers to
| fare better in times of financial stress because they can do more with less
| and be more productive. Others say that argument is a stretch.

What Will Economy Do to Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a tough economy, it’s no surprise to see more stories about CIOs who want
| to do more with less and those who are looking to open source to do that.
| After all, it is “priced right” as Linux Foundation executive director Jim
| Zemlin told eWEEK recently.

Open Source To The Rescue In Hard Times

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a spiel that makes a lot of sense on the face of it. Switch to open
| source and you'll not only save money (who doesn't want to do that?) but
| guard yourself against the unexpected repercussions of these financially grim
| days.

Ballmer says Microsoft not immune from global crisis

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars

Ex-Microsoft boss sentenced

Former Microsoft Manager Gets 2 Years In Jail