[News] Free Software Gets Its Blessing from the Pentagon

Pentagon: Open source good to go

,----[ Quote ]
| The memo should answer many lingering questions still surrounding the open
| source, said Daniel Risacher, the data strategy leader for the Office of
| Secretary of Defense who is drafting the memo. The draft may point out some
| potential benefits as well.
|
| "Those factors that are in favor of open source have not been appreciated to
| date," said Risacher, speaking at the Red Hat Government Users and Developers
| conference, being held today. The DOD CIO office is aiming to release the
| memo by early November.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/47320-1.html

They are in the process of moving to GNU/Linux.

Related:

Pentagon cyber attack more serious than previously assumed

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the new magazine report claims that malicious code, which exploits a
| hole in Microsoft Windows, was detected in various portions of the network
| during network infrastructure reorganisation.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/104819/from/rss09

Land Warrior System: Inside the Pentagon's New High-Tech Gear

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kevlar Advanced Combat Helmet weighs approximately 3 pounds --
| half the weight of current models. An eyepiece (A) bolted to the
| helmet acts as a full-color computer interface, displaying maps
| and images from the camera on the weapon. A boom mic (B) and
| over-the-ear headphones (C) allow troops to communicate...
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4215725.html

Pentagon: Our new robot army will be controlled by malware

,----[ Quote ]
| A US defence department advisory board has warned of the danger that American
| war robots scheduled for delivery within a decade might be riddled with
| malicious code. The kill machines will use software largely written overseas,
| and it is feared that sinister forces might meddle with it in production,
| thus gaining control of the future mechanoid military.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/06/open_source_malware_future_combat_systems_robot_hack_war/
http://tinyurl.com/yp5nmt

Chinese military hacked into Pentagon

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chinese military hacked into a Pentagon computer network in June in the
| most successful cyber attack on the US defence department, say American ­
| officials.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9dba9ba2-5a3b-11dc-9bcd-0000779fd2ac.html

China Crafts Cyberweapons