[News] APIs Released for Google's Linux Variant

Sergey Brin descends from Mount Sinai with Android API

,----[ Quote ]
| Fail and You If there's one thing that's never affected by economic downturn,
| it's the mobile handset market. This phenomenon is most evident at the
| underground parties and dive bars in San Francisco, where it is a well known
| yet unspoken tradition that in any given group of hipsters, the one with the
| cheapest phone must always buy the first pitcher of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/06/dziuba_android/

Recent:

Google's Android: It's not just for phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Bruggeman declined to share specifics about which Internet-connected devices
| might employ the operating system, but he did mention TVs and set-top boxes
| as well as cars. And he was confident some will arrive next year.
|
| "I don't want to pre-announce any design wins," he said. "I think you'll see
| them in 2009. I would be shocked if you didn't."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10047551-1.html

GACL

,----[ Quote ]
| Until Chrome came along, Google's Master Mobile Plan didn't quite add up. Now
| it does. Chrome -- Google's new superbrowser -- is cream on the top of a new
| mobile software stack. Let's call it GACL, for Gears, Android and Chrome on
| Linux. Gears is a way to run Web apps on desktops and store data locally as
| well as in the cloud. Android is a development framework for Linux-based
| mobile devices. Chrome is a browser, but not just for pages. Chrome also runs
| apps. In that respect, it's more than the UI-inside-a-window that all
| browsers have become. It's essentially an operating system.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/gacl

Is Android Google's Ticket into the Enterprise?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc.'s Android project could be the start of a much larger enterprise
| strategy, according to one industry analyst. But before the search engine
| giant can threaten Microsoft's enterprise supremacy, most observers of
| wireless industry efforts agree that the company's open source OS platform
| will need to regain support from its development community.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/151306/is_android_googles_ticket_into_the_enterprise.html

Five Reasons to Be Super Psyched About Android (and Five Not to Be)

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. It's open! The single best thing about Android is that's a modern mobile
| phone OS that's also almost completely open, unlike some other locked down
| mobile OSes. (There are a few restrictions in accessing the hardware for
| security reasons.) It's based on Linux, and once Google has released Android,
| most of it will be totally open source, so it'll be incredibly easy to dive
| into its guts and mess around, which will help build a robust developer
| community, along with all of the other benefits of using open software. Most
| of its other awesome traits grow out of its openness, actually.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5052576/five-reasons-to-be-super-psyched-about-android-and-five-not-to-be

What to Expect from Google Android (And What We're Hoping For)

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of hopes and open-source dreams are riding on a plucky little phone
| platform called Android, and its public debut on a real-live phone happens
| Tuesday. Those of us at Lifehacker HQ who didn't spring for an iPhone, and
| even some who did, are eager to see how it performs and, more importantly,
| what kind of useful apps will soon appear for the open Android. That's not to
| say we (and many other bloggers) don't have our reservations and lingering
| questions. We've put together a guide to get you up to speed on the Android
| platform and the first phone that runs it, along with what we expect, or just
| hope, to see in Android's very near future.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5052054/what-to-expect-from-google-android-and-what-were-hoping-for

Top-secret Android handset surfaces on YouTube

,----[ Quote ]
| Defying Google's pathologically closed approach to its open mobile platform,
| someone has posted video of a top-secret Android phone to YouTube.
|
| The video's a bit blurry. And even if it wasn't, it wouldn't tell you much.
| But if you want a glimpse of the current Android SDK, this is the only way to
| get it. For more than five months, in a display of perverse cruelty, Google
| has hidden SDK updates from all but a select few mobile developers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/11/google_android_video_hits_youtube/
http://tinyurl.com/6f7cvv

Google's Android mobile unveiled

,----[ Quote ]
| The first mobile telephone using Google's Android software has been unveiled.
|
| The T-Mobile G1 handset will be available in the UK in time for Christmas.

G1 Android launch pictures leaked?

,----[ Quote ]
| There may only be several hours to go before T-Mobile officially unveils the
| G1 Android-based handset. But that hasn’t stopped what’s believed to be the
| world’s first official photos of the phone being leaked online.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/23/g1_official_pics/

Early views of Android phones bubble up

,----[ Quote ]