Re: [News] Man Behind OSD Embarked on Crusade Against Intellectual Monopolies

  • Subject: Re: [News] Man Behind OSD Embarked on Crusade Against Intellectual Monopolies
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 08:52:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Perens new crusade is patent law
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Perens said in a recent interview that the current system makes it too easy
>| for patent trolls to sue, even when their patents may be bogus.
>|
>|     We need to restore justice to the patent system, and we also need to take
>|     a good look at the motivation for software patents, which many economists
>|     and others feel do more to hurt innovation than to promote it.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2952

The patent system has never been about justice.  It was, originally,
Royal favour in repayment for services to the crown.

Software patents, though, are even worse, having been effectively
squeezed in through the back door in the US, which has then tried to
impose them on the of the world, in a dazzling example of economic
imperialism.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |