Re: [News] Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 03 October 2008 14:41 : \____

> <Quote>
> Microsoft said Thursday that it would set up research centers in
> Britain, France and Germany to improve its Internet search technology,
> describing the move as a vote of confidence in the European economy
> and in the company’s ability to close the gap with Google.
>
> The chief executive, Steven A. Ballmer, said at a news conference that
> the three “centers of excellence” — near Paris, in London and in
> Munich — would employ several hundred people.
>
> Microsoft has been pushing to improve its ability to run Internet
> searches.... “We are the challenger, not the leader, in search,” Mr.
> Ballmer said. “But search is in its infancy, and there is so much room
> for innovation.”
>
> Google accounts for nearly 80 percent of Internet searches in Europe,
> according to the research company comScore; its share is slightly more
> than 60 percent in the United States.
>
> Microsoft has barely 1 percent of the European search market,
> according to comScore, and in some countries it even trails local
> search engines.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/technology/internet/03soft.html
>
> Ballmer seems to be serious when he says Microsoft will spend whatever
> it takes to catch up with Google.  It remains to be seen whether even
> with his bank account he will be able to do it.  Lately Microsoft has
> been paying people to use their search services, which doesn't sound
> like a good approach in the long run.  Also looks like he wants to
> have a presence in all the major countries of Europe---maybe for some
> extra "influence", you suppose?

...Like that blackmailing incident in Denmark, with the Man in the Sweater
reportedly threatening to destroy jobs if he doesn't get intellectual
monopolies on maths?

“They’ll get sort of addicted, and then we’ll somehow figure out how to collect
sometime in the next decade.”

                                        --Bill Gates

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
Mem:   2075800k total,  1909192k used,   166608k free,    35280k buffers