[News] Free Software Principles of Sharing Pass on to Other Fields

Software's open-source model provides inspiration in other arenas

,----[ Quote ]
| Defense Secretary Robert Gates calculates that the transparency of Minerva is
| also its strength, that by looking to everyone for advice and letting the
| crowd weigh in on the results, the communal know-how will be that much
| richer.
`----

http://www.theolympian.com/nationworld/story/578779.html

Related:

Cyberpunk icon proposes open source political party

,----[ Quote ]
| This week, Sirius proposed the establishment of a new open-source political
| party that aims to give a voice to disenfranchised voters.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071127-cyberpunk-icon-proposes-open-source-political-party.html

Open Source Rough Justice

,----[ Quote ]
| In a way, this is a validation of the characterization of the Net as
| a "global village": Formal, governmental enforcement mechanisms are a
| substitute for older reputation-based methods that use social pressure and
| shunning as primary sanctions — methods that had become impractical as social
| cooperation expanded beyond the village level

The importance of open source in a legal process

,----[ Quote ]
| At my first daily news job, the “slot” editor would take the work of
| reporters out of a pneumatic tube, assign it to another desk editor for
| checking, then re-check the desk editor’s work to prepare the day’s list of
| stories for the decision-makers. (Yes, it was indeed a series of tubes.)
|
| When the open source process is energized, reporters take the job of the slot
| editor, calling on readers  for basic research, digesting the results and
| constantly re-starting the process. Lawyers also take on this role, as at the
| EFF.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1611

Open Source Lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| Luckily, lawyers too are embracing the notion of community. Most
| recently I ran across the Open Bar Association where they feature
| discussions for lawyers by lawyers from all over the planet. Some
| of the topics discussed include linking analysis, GPL and license
| compatibility and other considerations.
`----

http://duckdown.blogspot.com/2007/03/open-source-lawyers.html

The Wikipedia way to better intelligence

,----[ Quote ]
| The lesson? Advanced technology and Web-savvy citizenry now make
| it possible for open-source information gathering to rival, if
| not surpass, the clandestine intelligence produced by government
| agencies.
|
| Indeed, open-source methods have already proved their worth in
| counterterrorism.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/ybroadwell

Can IT Use Open Source Methods To Write Internal Code?

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainstream companies are using open source methods to develop
| their own software. Lynne Ellyn, CIO of DTE Energy, shares her
| thoughts on how to make it work.
`----

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1540,2065394,00.asp

Can open source methodology make a movie?

,----[ Quote ]
| We all know that open source is being used to help make movies. Linux
| and open source software have been used in rendering farms for major
| pictures like Shrek, Lord of the Rings, and many others. Earlier
| this year the Blender project released Elephants Dream, the first
| movie made entirely with open source graphics software. But can
| the open source methodology be used to create a movie? The folks
| behind The Digital Tipping Point (DTP) are betting it can.
`----

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/07/2014209&from=rss

Open Source Gets a Wall Street Boost

,----[ Quote ]
| This is good news for the providers of open-source financial technologies,
| such as Zecco, a Web 2.0 stock trading and investment community. Zecco said
| its open-source platform allows it to offer its 75,000 customers 10 free
| equity trades a month, and to build up a community which generates financial
| content for the company.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Open-Source-Gets-a-Wall-Street-Boost/

In search for foreign intelligence, spies turn to YouTube, MySpace, blogs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/In_search_for_foreign_intelligence_spies_0207.html