[News] Ogg Receives Financial Boost While Spendings Go Low

A Flurry of Open Source Video-Related News

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, One Laptop Per Child has partnered with French video company Daily
| Motion to advance the open source video format Ogg. OLPC systems don't
| support Flash, and it is likely that Ogg will become the native video format
| on them.
|
| All of this points to some shakeups in how video is handled and distributed
| in several prominent open source applications and platforms. I've got my eyes
| on Firefox 3.1 and the HTML 5 video support. That should be one of the
| biggest improvements in version 3.1, and should allow more flexibility in how
| video is handled on the web.
`----

http://ostatic.com/173180-blog/a-flurry-of-open-source-video-related-news

IT spending plummets as crunch worsens

,----[ Quote ]
| The crunch isn’t limited to the financial sector, either. The study went on
| to reveal that in the telecommunications, manufacturing, retail and even
| utilities sectors, about 40 per cent of firms would be forced to curb their
| enthusiasm for shiny new tech.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/feeds/rss/generic/en/GB/inq/latest/gb/inquirer/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/09/spending-plummets-crunch

Recent:

Summer of Code: Ogg Theora Port

,----[ Quote ]
| Porting open, patent free codecs to our devices has always been of great
| interest to neuros and many of our users. As some of you Neuros old timers
| may recall, we were the first to port the Ogg Vorbis audio codec to a
| portable HDD audio player. Now it's time, hopefully, to do the same with the
| Ogg Theora video codec.
`----

http://open.neurostechnology.com/content/summer-code-ogg-theora-port

Sun Tackles Video Codec

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking to boost the Web, Sun is working on a royalty-free and open video
| codec and media system, company officials said Thursday afternoon.
|
| [...]
|
| Currently, proprietary solutions are relied on, such as Adobe's Flash or
| royalty-bearing specifications like H.264, Glidden said.
|
| OMS is a recent project. Asked about the availability of OMS technologies,
| Glidden said, "Stay tuned. I have no announcements on any commercial
| implementations or time frame."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144494/sun_tackles_video_codec.html

Related:

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't).
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html

Worlds first high performance Dirac video codec implementation available

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10452.html