Re: [OT] Penguin receives Knighthood

Tony(UK) <tony_smith100@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:00:47 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
> snip

>>> There was a scandal recently. These awards and medals are sometimes
>>> given in exchange for something, i.e. bribes.
>
> I have never heard of a knighthood or recognition given by the Queen
> being obtained by bribery. Are you sure you don't mean peerages?
> (awarded by the Government of the day).
>
> Our Queen corrupt? Surely not!
> Lock him in the tower!
>
> All the best,
>
> Tony(UK)

Of course knighthoods are just as subject to corruption as any other
honour.  The Queen doesn't get a say in this, which is one of the
reasons why I prefer the present "constitutional monarchy" over some
presidential systems.  The Irish presidential system is pretty good,
though.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |