[News] Schools and Free Software with GNU/Linux Laptops

More Ways That Open Source Could Benefit Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| In a previous post, I cited some data on how doable it might be to put a
| Linux netbook or notebook in the hand of every kid in school, paying for the
| effort by getting schools to go paperless--or near-paperless. With
| Linux-based netbooks such as the Asus Eee PCs dropping well below $400 for
| basic systems and stocked with lots of good open source software, every kid
| could have a personal computer.
`----

http://ostatic.com/172521-blog/more-ways-that-open-source-could-benefit-schools

Recent:

Paperless Schools and Linux Notebooks for Every Kid

,----[ Quote ]
| I would say that the Computerworld figure of 8,000 sheets per student, per
| year, might be a bit high for a U.S. student, but not outrageously so.
| Anyway, if you go through the whole calculation in the Computerwold post, the
| costs for paper, toner and all the rest of the expensive items needed for
| paper-driven schools vastly eclipse what it would cost to buy each student a
| Linux notebook computer. (Asus Linux notebooks are very popular now, come
| loaded with open source applications and no software licensing fees, and can
| be had for under $350.)
`----

http://ostatic.com/166633-blog/paperless-schools-and-linux-notebooks-for-every-kid

A tiny revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| It's smaller then a textbook and cheaper than many software packages. George
| Cole visits two schools using the first in a new breed of mini laptops
|
| [...]
|
| These mini laptops have caused a stir in the education sector, not least
| because they offer many features found on full-sized laptops, including
| built-in wireless networking. Their low cost (£169) is partly down to their
| use of open source software like the Linux operating system and free software
| packages such as Open Office.
`----

http://education.guardian.co.uk/link/story/0,,2266333,00.html

Related:

Mini-laptop sweeps through schools

,----[ Quote ]
| RM, the company supplying the Minibook computer to schools, sold out its
| first order of 6,000 within weeks, and is now projecting school sales of
| 30,000 by the end of the year. They are attracting the attention of IT
| teachers, and with them a multimillion-pound market in school computing so
| far dominated by Microsoft, the Goliath to RM's David.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year the government spent £801m on IT equipment for schools. Microsoft
| has the lion's share of the market, but the Minibooks circumvent this iron
| grip by using Linux open source software instead of Microsoft Windows Vista.
`----

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,2255522,00.html

Kid-size computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Fresno Unified officials buy 1,000 wireless laptops that will fit on
| students' desktops.
`----

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-printerfriendly/story/187043.html

Free Ubuntu laptops for French students