[News] Report from the X Developer Summit in Scotland

Closing X Developer Summit 2008 Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from the short X Server 1.6 release plans and clarifying UXA+EXA, there
| are a few other notes to share from this afternoon's X.Org/Intel talk.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcwNQ

Intel Calls For X Server 1.6 This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| While X Server 1.5.0 was finally released this week without X.Org 7.4, Keith
| Packard is calling for the release of X Server 1.6 this year. Due to Intel's
| customers needing some of the newest X features, Keith Packard has stepped up
| to be the release manager for X Server 1.6 and he will be running this
| release cycle on a strictly time-based schedule.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcwMw

X.Org Developers Raid The Zoo

,----[ Quote ]
| The schedule for today's talks that mostly consisted of open-source graphics
| were also thrown off when the developers decided to visit the Gentoo
| Penguins. They were let loose for a rather odd parade.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcwMQ

Nice video.

Recent:

ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.

,----[ Quote ]
| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
| currently available.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080902113646_ATI_to_Enable_High_Definition_Video_Playback_on_Linux_Based_Computers.html

If it's animation or special effects, it's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/if_its_animation_or_special_effects_its_linux