[News] OpenSolaris Uses Hadoop Open Source to Attract a Crowd

OpenSolaris Project: Hadoop Live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| Organizations routinely collect a huge amount of data, including web crawls,
| email messages, and scientific data. Processing these datasets with
| traditional relational database models or streaming algorithms is no longer
| scalable. A new data processing model, MapReduce, addresses this challenge by
| leveraging large clusters of hundreds or thousands of heterogeneous servers.
`----

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/livehadoop/

The Week in Review: Red Hat vs. Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat is continuing to expand its open source stack with Qumranet and the
| KVM virtualisation technology. Sun still has its nose in front, already
| offering VirtualBox as a fully supported product.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/The-Week-in-Review-Red-Hat-vs-Sun--/features/111471
http://tinyurl.com/59gtq9

Recent:

Hypertable Lead Discusses Hadoop and Distributed Databases

,----[ Quote ]
| At the time that we started on the project, an open source Bigtable
| implementation did not exist, so we decided to build it ourselves. The reason
| that we chose open source is because we felt that an open source
| implementation of Bigtable would be inevitable. By leading the development
| effort, we would have a leg up on the competition in terms of knowledge,
| expertise, and credibility.
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/04/hypertable-interview

Hip-hip-Hadoop!