[News] Governments' Suppression of Freedom and Rights in the Rise?

International Action Day «Freedom not fear - Stop the surveillance mania!» on

| A broad movement of campaigners and organizations is calling on everybody to
| join action against excessive surveillance by governments and businesses. On
| 11 October 2008, concerned people in many countries will take to the streets,
| the motto being «Freedom not fear 2008#187;. Peaceful and creative action,
| from protest marches to parties, will take place in many capital cities.
`----

http://www.libertysecurity.org/article2216.html

Thai government tries to shut down 400 websites

,----[ Quote ]
| Thailand's Information and Communications Technology Ministry sought court
| orders yesterday to shut down about 400 websites and advised internet service
| providers to block 1,200 sites it considers are disturbing the social order
| or are a danger to national security.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/sep/03/digitalmedia.thailand

Binary Freedom Responds to Thai Censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| In response, Binary Freedom members have offered to host these free speech
| websites on their servers free of charge. If you are interested in offering
| some hosting space, send an email to ringo{at}coimc=dot=org. Tell us what you
| have (PHP, SQL, etc.) and we will try and place an orphan site in your hands.
`----

http://binaryfreedom.info/node/332

RFID: Your privacy is up for grabs

,----[ Quote ]
| Katherine Albrecht, co-author of “Spychips: How Major Corporations and
| Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID“, has written an article
| for Scientific American explaining how we inadvertently consent to lose our
| privacy and what’s being done about it on a federal level in the US and EU.
`----

http://www.digitalcitizen.info/2008/09/02/rfid-your-privacy-is-up-for-grabs/

Recent:

Internet Terrorist: Does Such A Thing Really Exist?

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, I have experienced an increase in organizations questioning how
| real is the threat of Internet terrorism and what they can do to protect
| themselves. As a former CISO, this was one of the last concerns that crossed
| my mind, especially since it was a daily up-hill battle getting buy-in for
| the most basic security controls and services. The notion of worrying about
| the potential risk of terrorism against my organization seemed to be the
| lowest priority given the choices at hand. Ironically, terrorism today seems
| to be an emerging concern in the commercial world and many are actively
| pursuing methods and technology to help combat the problem. As a result, I
| began to research this trend to determine its drivers and potential
| implications to information security as we know it today.
`----

http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1169

The Continuing Cheapening of the Word "Terrorism"

,----[ Quote ]
| Illegally diverting water is terrorism:
|
|     South Australian Premier Mike Rann says the diversion of water from the
|     Paroo River in Queensland is an act of terrorism during a water crisis.
|
| Anonymously threatening people with messages on playing cards, like the Joker
| in The Dark Knight, is terrorism...
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/08/the_continuing_1.html

And An i-Patriot Act

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazing revelations have emerged concerning already existing government plans
| to overhaul the way the internet functions in order to apply much greater
| restrictions and control over the web.
|
| Lawrence Lessig, a respected Law Professor from Stanford University told an
| audience at this years Fortune’s Brainstorm Tech conference in Half Moon Bay,
| California, that "There’s going to be an i-9/11 event" which will act as a
| catalyst for a radical reworking of the law pertaining to the internet.
|
| Lessig also revealed that he had learned, during a dinner with former
| government Counter Terrorism Czar Richard Clarke, that there is already in
| existence a cyber equivalent of the Patriot Act, an "i-Patriot Act" if you
| will, and that the Justice Department is waiting for a cyber terrorism event
| in order to implement its provisions.
`----

http://www.infowars.net/articles/august2008/050808i911.htm

Update on China/Tibet cyberattacks (and Russia/Georgia), and call for
testimonials.

,----[ Quote ]
| Also on this same day, I received an interesting update from Greg Walton, a
| SecDev Fellow at the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto who also edits
| the Infowar Monitor.
|
| He's currently in Hong Kong doing pro bono work for the advocacy group Human
| Rights in China, briefing them on security issues and monitoring systems
| during a sensitive time -- the Olympics, recent unrest in Tibetan and Uighur
| regions, and other factors.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/08/12/update-on-chinatibet.html

A Czar for the Digital Peasants