[News] Linux Developer Network Starts Publishing Technical Articles

An Open Source Mashup for Amazon EC2

,----[ Quote ]
| Part one of this article, Cloud Computing and Open Source, presented an
| overview of several cloud computing solutions available today that are
| friendly to open source. In this article we'll focus on one of these
| solutions, Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), and walk through the
| development of an open source mashup for EC2. Amazon EC2 is a top player in
| the cloud computing space and gives organizations the ability to leverage
| world-class compute resources on a pay-as-you-go basis. It also provides a
| rich set of APIs based on open standards and the ability to mix and match
| other Amazon services such as Simple Queue Service (SQS), Simple Storage
| Service (S3), SimpleDB, and Elastic Block Store (EBS), to build innovative
| applications for the cloud.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/article/an-open-source-mashup-amazon-ec2

Converting a NSLU2 into an RTorrent appliance

,----[ Quote ]
| The irony of this firmware replacement (as this will require) is that the
| Linksys NSLU2 is a kind of instant NAS; plug in a drive or two via USB and
| you have a NAS. I picked up the NSLU2 at a Linux embedded programming
| tutorial and since I reburned the machine in the act of applying power for
| the first time I have only seen this as OpenWRT.
`----

http://jbcobb.net/?p=43

Recent:

The New Linux Developer Network

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve hired a new guy to run the LDN, Brian Proffitt.  He’s been hard at work
| since the moment he started, asking lots of questions and building a new
| infrastructure in an amazing amount of time.  And now, you can see the
| results of his initial work.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/lsb/2008/08/07/the-new-linux-developer-network/

Welcoming Brian Proffitt (and looking forward to the LDN)

,----[ Quote ]
| As he disclosed there, his new role will be to help launch the Linux
| Foundation's new Linux Developer Network site and project, which Amanda has
| been already been working on for some time.  When it launches, Brian will be
| its Community Manager and Editor.  After almost 8 years at JupiterMedia,
| there are few people that know every part of the Linux landscape, and those
| that live, develop and write (both positively and negatively) in and around
| that landscape as well as Brian.  We're both lucky and delighted to have
| Brian aboard.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080719085526692

Linux Market to Triple by 2012