Re: [News] [Rival] Google's Office Killer is Already Killing Office

On 2008-09-04, amicus_curious <ACDC@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 23:15:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> Google Apps tops 1 million businesses
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>last
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10029861-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
>>>
>>> Microsoft is already giving Office for very cheap, compromising margins.
>>> Office
>>> monopoly is doomed, with or without the OOXML corruptions.
>>
>> Yawwn.
>> You Linux loons have been singing that song for years.
>> It hasn't happened.
>>
>> Look at OpenOffice for example.
>>
>> It's free, it's cross platform and still it's market share is dismal.
>>
> It seems so strange that they don't see the illogic of their position.  Now

...let's see: we have GIMP, avidemux, VLC, mplayer, transcode and ffmpeg
being either pushed by the enthusiast crowd or the Windows press.

   Plus we have firefox eroding the share of IE and that is engineered with
vendorlock in mind.

   So it's only a matter of time before OO chips away at msoffice.

> we have Google spending a few hundred million bucks to promote their stuff
> and they have  a million or so customers, which is still a drop in the
> bucket.  But OSS has nothing to spend on promotions.

   Ultimately, it doesn't have to. What really matters is what happens when
you declare that you don't have a copy of msword. Will the Lemming Pirates
hand you a copy of msoffice or will they hand you a copy of OO?

   People (like grannies) who shouldn't be are all caught up in the "compatablity"
FUD surrounding msoffice and Windows in general.

--

	Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
	is genuinely new: culture, like science and              |||

				 Judge Alex Kozinski
				 US Court of Appeals
				 9th Circuit

                http://www.usenet.com