[News] Pressure on Europe to Adopt Standards; Erlangen-Nuremberg Hires for FOSS

Write to Them: European Interoperability Framework v2

,----[ Quote ]
| I've noted before that writing to MPs/MEPs seems to be remarkably effective
| in terms of generating a response. The naïve among us might even assume that
| democracy is almost functional in these cases. I'm not sure whether that
| applies to something as large and inscrutable as the European Commission, but
| it's certainly worth a try, especially in the context of open source and open
| standards.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1205&blogid=14

University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany

,----[ Quote ]
| Applications are invited to fill a permanent position as
| Professor (W 2) in Open Source Software
`----

http://www.uni-erlangen.de/infocenter/jobs/professoren/Open-Source-Software-en.shtml

Recent:

Revision of the EIF and AG

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2006, the European Commission has started the revision of the European
| Interoperability Framework (EIF) and the Architecture Guidelines (AG).
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7728

The 'European Interoperability Framework for pan-European eGovernment Services'
now available in printed version

http://europa.eu.int/idabc/3761

UK: Open Standards Forum 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| In today's Internet and in many large private network infrastructures,
| heterogeneity and diversity are the rule rather than the exception. Security
| infrastructures need open standards and interoperability to scale to the huge
| deployments that are being rolled out. Many security standards support a
| model where identity authentication, access control, digital signature
| processing, encryption and key management are provided as services that can
| be distributed and shared.
`----

http://www.epractice.eu/document/4914

IDABC EIF Info Day 2008 - Brussels

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission, Directorate General for Informatics (IDABC), is
| organising a special event aiming to present and inform on the new version of
| the European Interoperability Framework. This EIF Info Day is to take place
| on 25 June 2008 in Brussels.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7649

EU: Feedback welcome on the draft document based on which the new European
Interoperability Framework will be elaborated

,----[ Quote ]
| The draft document based on which the final EIF v2.0 will be elaborated is
| now available online on the IDABC website of the European Commission.
| External comments from all of those interested are welcome by 22 September
| 2008.
`----

http://www.epractice.eu/document/4918

Welcome to the Open Source Observatory and Repository for European public
administrations

,----[ Quote ]
| The OSOR provides a platform for the exchange of information, experiences and
| FLOSS-based code for the use in public administrations. Your are invited to
| participate in this exchange and make use of the OSOR services:
|
|     * international news on Open Source topics;
|     * a repository with code and documentation on software for public
|       administrations;
|     * a state-of-the art forge for working together.
|
| The value and usefulness of the platform will increase with the number of
| contributors and of contributions that are offered for sharing.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/

Using the European championship to spread malware

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is pushing their evil SilverLight platform very hard. They want to
| make sure that providers of cross-platform software for delivering rich
| applications via the web browser are thwarted. This is normal behavior for a
| monopolistic company and certainly for Microsoft. To accomplish this goal
| they are throwing around bucketloads of money and FUD to get content
| providers to use the Microsoft malware Silverlight exclusively.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3509

European Commission publishes draft of interoperability framework

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/European-Commission-publishes-draft-of-interoperability-framework--/111130
http://tinyurl.com/5d8ypm