[News] [Rival] Apple's Defective-by-Design Store Under Fire from Neelie Kroes

EU warns online music stores: change or be changed

,----[ Quote ]
| EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes has warned the music industry that
| she is prepared to take action to ensure a competitive online marketplace
| across member states, especially for digital music sales.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20729/1054/

"Monopoly raises two classes of problems for a free society. First, the
existence of monopoly means a limitation on voluntary exchange through a
reduction in the alternatives available to individuals. Second, the existence
of monopoly raises the issue of “social responsibility”, as it has come to be
called, of the monopolist."

                --Milton Friedman

Recent:

What if Apple stopped issuing DRM keys?

,----[ Quote ]
| It happened to Microsoft and Yahoo. Could it happen to Apple?
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's now defunct MSN Music service made a similar announcement last
| spring. Some CNET News readers have asked whether the same thing could happen
| at iTunes. The answer to that question is yes, it most certainly could.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10004255-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

iTunes Store back online in China after Tibet song leaves front page

,----[ Quote ]
| The iTunes Store was blocked in China two weeks after an album released by
| Tibet activists appeared, but after the Olympics Games concluded, it was
| available once again.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13908_3-10027395-59.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Apple breaks price promise on UK

,----[ Quote ]
| WHEN APPLE PROMISED six months ago to equalise the cost of Itunes download
| throughout Europe, the chaps in the accounts department at Cupertino were
| probably thinking they had a long round of tough negotiations with records
| labels and artists ahead of them.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/15/apple-breaks-price-promise-uk
http://tinyurl.com/68ha36

UK iTunes shelves music price cut

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has scrapped plans to cut the price of music downloads on its iTunes
| service in the UK.

Apple Sues Mac Clone Maker Psystar

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has finally lost patience with Mac clone maker Psystar and is suing the
| Florida-based company in a federal district court. According to the blog of
| lawyer Jorge Espinosa Apple filed the lawsuit July 3 alleging Psystar is
| engaging in "shrink wrap license, trademark and copyright infringement."
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007281.html

Apple retail fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| It turns out, after talking to some employees, that some Best Buy managers
| don't believe that people really want Macs -- even though this store had
| almost no stock - and so they only order in a minimal number and set up these
| idiot no reservation rules.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/apple_retail_fiasco

Related:

Apple defends iTunes in Berlin, Brussels

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission charged in April that Vivendi's Universal Music Group, Sony
| BMG Music Entertainment, EMI Group and Warner Music Group were forcing Apple
| to curtail cross-border access to iTunes.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6208959.html

After Big Win in Microsoft Case, EU Sets Sights on iTunes

,----[ Quote ]
| An EU spokesman also blamed the record labels, two of which are owned by
| European companies, for this situation. He told the WSJ in April that
| regulators considered Apple to be more a victim than a culprit. “This is an
| arrangement imposed on Apple by the record companies,” the spokesman
| said. “The main focus of our attention is the major record companies.”
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/17/after-big-win-in-microsoft-case-eu-sets-sights-on-itunes/?mod=yahoo_hs
http://tinyurl.com/2jj57a

Why DRM's best friend might just be Apple Inc.

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM is dying. It's a statement being echoed with increasing frequency
| around the Web over the last few weeks, and is perhaps best articulated
| in this Billboard article. Antony Bruno lays out his case for why 2007
| will be the year that the major labels "get it" and stop alienating
| their customers with restrictive DRM schemes.

Democratic bill could force Apple, AT&T to unlock iPhone

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9879554-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20