[News] Free Software for Deployment on Own Servers, Including Office Suite and Mail

  • Subject: [News] Free Software for Deployment on Own Servers, Including Office Suite and Mail
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:53:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New Funambol Position Paper Describes Open Source MobileWe 'for the Rest of Us'

,----[ Quote ]
| Funambol Inc., the leading provider of open source push email and mobile sync
| for the mass market, today announced the release of a new position paper
| titled, "Open MobileWe for the Rest of Us". The paper discusses how Apple's
| new MobileMe service has greatly publicized the utility of mobile sync for
| mass market users and illustrates that large numbers of people are willing to
| pay for sync.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/new-funambol-position-paper-describes,546147.shtml

Web 2.0: Zoho Gears Up

,----[ Quote ]
| A while back I mentioned OpenGoo, a Web-based office suite designed with
| Zoho-like functionality, but which can be hosted on your own servers. When I
| spoke to Zoho chief Raju Vegesna about this, he wasn't terribly worried. Why?
| I asked.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/09/web_20_zoho_gea.html

Recent:

OpenGoo.org - Open Source Office Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| There is word processor, a spreadsheet application, and all the other things
| you excpect from word processors. This will probably be useful for anyone
| that has a company and doesn’t want to spend money buying licenses for
| software.
`----

http://www.killerstartups.com/Web-App-Tools/opengoo-org-open-source-office-tools

ZoooS takes OpenOffice.org to the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Startup will target Microsoft Office customers, as well as users hesitant to
| trust free or low cost online suites
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114124&intsrc=hm_list

ZoooS Aims for Online Versions of OpenOffice Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Webware has recently been covering a port to the web of the OpenOffice.org
| suite of productivity applications from ZoooS. If it sounds like it competes
| with Microsoft Office Live, it does in some ways, and it also competes with
| Zoho's large suite of free productivity applications hosted online. From SQL
| databases to spreadsheets and presentations to word processing (although
| applications are only previews at the moment) you'll be able to use ZoooS to
| work online and collaborate with others there. From ZoooS' home page, you'll
| also get a number of other interesting applications.
`----

http://ostatic.com/172445-blog/zooos-aims-for-online-versions-of-openoffice-apps

Office Live, you're no Google Docs

,----[ Quote ]
| Offlice Live does have its own text editor, but it's rather weak and doesn't
| have Google Docs' killer feature: simultaneous editing. If someone edits a
| document you've got open and you then try to save it, you get a conflict
| error and have to decide whose edits you want to kill.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10032096-2.html?tag=newsFeaturedBlogArea.0

New Microsoft Office competition from Zoho, Zooos

,----[ Quote ]
| The third annual Office 2.0 conference, which starts Thursday, is where
| people talk about getting real work done on the Web.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10032403-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Apps tops 1 million businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost all of the company's revenue comes from its search engine, which last
| quarter accounted for more than $5 billion. New initiatives, such as the
| Chrome browser, Google Gears, and Google Friend Connect, are focused on
| building a mostly open-source Internet operating system out of Google
| technology in order to funnel more user data and targeted advertising
| opportunities into the Googleplex financial engine.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10029861-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362