[News] Intridea Considers Free Software But Goes Not Far Enough

Web 2.0: Intridea Considers Open Source (Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Intridea is a Washington, D.C., company that builds collaborative tools for
| the enterprise. Its big release this week was Present.ly, a "Twitter that
| runs inside the firewall" -- something I imagine most people reading this
| will either love or hate on sight! It's all built on open source -- Ruby on
| Rails -- but, again, it's not an open source app itself.
|
| [...]
|
| What I do wonder about, though, is whether the notion of "just open enough"
| will subsume "free and open" as both a design and marketing philosophy. For
| people engaged in making Web apps -- i.e., most of the companies I talked
| with at Web 2.0 -- "open enough" may well be enough for them and their
| clients. And if we're headed toward a world that runs heavily on Web
| apps, "open enough" may end up being a corollary of that.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/09/web_20_intridea.html

Recent:

"Good enough" ethics and "good enough" open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Journal defined "ethics" broadly as "socially responsible," and then set
| about trying to determine just how socially responsible consumers demand of a
| company before they'll take their business elsewhere...
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9943296-16.html

When is Open Source not Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The incompatibility between that and the Zimbra license is pretty glaring,
| no further comment needed.
|
| The reason this matters is that open source, as a development methodology
| and as a culture, depends utterly on the freedom to fork. You can’t have
| open source practices without open source freedoms: the practices depend
| on the freedoms.
`----

http://www.rants.org/2007/06/26/when-is-open-source-not-open-source/

Related:

Merging "Open Source" and "Free Software"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/merging_open_source_and_free_software