[News] Sun to Host FOSS Projects Amid Rising Attraction

  • Subject: [News] Sun to Host FOSS Projects Amid Rising Attraction
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:13:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sun Launches New Site for Hosting Open Source Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has launched a new effort to compete with Google Code and
| various Forge sites with its beta site Project Kenai (pronounced Keen-Eye).
| According to a blog post, the site was launched quietly on Friday, and a
| primary goal of the site is to host open source projects and encourage
| collaboration on them. Project Kenai is built on Ruby on Rails, and uses
| Subversion and Mercurial version-control systems.
`----

http://ostatic.com/173304-blog/sun-launches-new-site-for-hosting-open-source-projects

The double-edged sword of the economy for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| When I talk to vendors, I can often tell how truly open source they are based
| on their response to the question: what has been the impact of the economy on
| your business? Those that still have a foot or more in the proprietary
| software world frequently say, ‘Well, times are tough, but we aren’t really
| seeing any impact.’ Those that are enjoying the benefits of open source
| software development, distribution and cost will typically say, ‘We think
| organizations are being forced to cut costs at the same time they are being
| forced into compliance and regulation, so it’s driving deals our way.’
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/09/16/the-double-edged-sword-of-the-economy-for-open-source/

Recent:

Sun plans open source push

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has thrown its weight behind this month's Software Freedom
| Day 2008 and called for firms and consumers alike to embrace open source.
|
| The vendor said that, as part of its sponsorship of the event on 20
| September, it is calling on the open source community and its own staff to
| cooperate in a global education programme designed to raise awareness of the
| technologies.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2226007/sun-plans-software-freedom-day

Sun Leads Global Mobilization of Communities Around Software Freedom Day 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080911005284&newsLang=en