[News] Another Barrier to GIMP Migrations is Removed

GIMP User Filter allows use of Photoshop filters

,----[ Quote ]
| One brake on the GIMP's popularity is that, while it boasts dozens of
| filters, a rival like Photoshop boasts thousands. You may only occasionally
| need a special effect that imitates a pencil sketch or a famous style of
| painting such as Impressionism or Cubism, but, when you do, having a filter
| to create the effect instantly saves serious amount of time. To help bridge
| this divide, the GIMP is reviving the User Filter from its 1.x releases. This
| filter is a kind of meta-plugin that allows users to import and manage
| Photoship filters or, if they have the knowledge, to write their own.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147173

Related:

Gimp vs. Photoshop

,----[ Quote ]
| The truth is, they're both winners when they're used in the proper
| context. The Gimp just doesn't have support in the areas that are
| necessary to make it useful in a commercial application. However,
| you cannot justify the price of Photoshop for personal use when the
| Gimp will do everything it can do outside of commercial printing. I
| know I've beat the horse to death, but unless you want to pirate
| software, there is no reason to use Photoshop if you're not producing
| a print publication ? use the Gimp.
`----

http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/01/11/Gimp_vs_Photoshop/

GIMPshop - Linux Graphic Software

,----[ Quote ]
| While the functionalities of GIMP and Photoshop largely overlap,
| window layout, options, tools, and menus have evolved independently
| and are quite different. This causes frustration for people who
| want to switch from Photoshop to GIMP or vice versa.

`----

http://linux.about.com/od/softgraphics/gr/GIMPshop.htm

Best of GIMP brushes: 35+ brush sets (1400+ brushes)

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is an open-source image editing program, one of the most popular
| image-editing programs. It is supported by a huge open-source community that
| is open in every aspect - development, source, sharing and participation.
|
| [...]
|
| And what better way for me to admire GIMP than by presenting a list of some
| amazing, beautiful and stunning brushes?
`----

http://www.techzilo.com/gimp-brushes/

Gimp Tutorial - Fast Flaming Text

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a few flame effect tutorials out there, but all the ones I've found
| are either badly outdated or too fiddly. This is how I set any object -
| including text - ablaze with the Gimp, in just six quick steps.
|
| Done with Gimp 2.2.13, which I'll keep using for tutorials until more Linux
| distros start including 2.4 by default. If you've soldiered on to 2.4, the
| menus will be all switched around, but the effects should all still be there
| somewhere. Click images to get full-size shot.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=gimp_tutorial_fast_flaming_text&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Top 40+ GIMP plugins

,----[ Quote ]
| Much like Firefox, GIMP’s strength lies in its plugins, which are developed
| by the open-source toting community. Since the users themselves develop them,
| they know all the needs and conceive a plugin for everything (well, except
| making a coffee for you ;) ).
`----

http://www.techzilo.com/gimp-plugins/

GIMP 2.4.3 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.3 is another bug-fix release in the stable 2.4 series.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/22760

GIMP 2.4.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is so new that their website hasn't been updated yet, but if you
| check out the GIMP FTP it is available for download as of October 23.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjE0OQ

Web designing with Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As a freelance web designer, I really thought migrating to Ubuntu Linux will
| give me a really hard time. I never thought that Ubuntu Linux has a very good
| graphic design tool that can do what I am doing with Photoshop. Although Gimp
| is still way too different with Photoshop, I still see Gimp as a very
| powerful tool in graphic and web designing. It also possess features that
| Photoshop has.
`----

http://pinoy-blog.isoftinno.com/2007/10/23/web-designing-with-ubuntu/

GIMP tricks: Snooker ball as a pseudo 3d object

,----[ Quote ]
| I don’t really remeber when and where, but once I have read that GIMP isn’t
| suitable for pseudo 3D graphics. Nothing more fallible! I will try to prove
| it wrong.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/graphics/gimp-tricks-snooker-ball-as-a-pseudo-3d-object/

GIMP 2.4.0 Comes Closer To Release

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is coming soon and as a sign of that, the third release candidate
| for GIMP 2.4.0 is now available.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA3NQ

GIMP UI brainstorm